Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

Can I be forced to change my hours at work. I have been employed

at my company for almost...
Can I be forced to change my hours at work. I have been employed at my company for almost two years. My hours started out from 7:30 to 4. They asked and I agreed to change my hours from 8 to 4:30. Today they asked if I would change my hours from 9-5. I told them that I was unable to change my hours because I recently acquired a 2nd job part time that I chose hours to work around my current schedule. I told them that I could attempt to change my hours at my second job but I already had my schedule for the month and that I couldn't start my new hours until my current schedule is worked. I was given no option and told that they couldn't wait a month but the work flow isn't changing. Basically i was told "Change your hours asap or else." Is this legal?
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/30/2008
Infolawyer, Lawyer
The employer change the hours of employment for an employee at will as long as it doesnt make the decision due to your race, gender or age.

Do the changes have to be immediate? or is there not reasonable time that the law allows to accomodate the changes

I am afraid the employer has discretion to change it at will without notice. The reasonablness of it is a custom that most employers adopt to retain employees.

Infolawyer, Lawyer
Infolawyer, Lawyer