Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

CAN I AS AN EMPLOYEE IN THE STATE OF INDIANA SUE MY PRESENT

Customer Question
EMPLOYER...
CAN I AS AN EMPLOYEE IN THE STATE OF INDIANA SUE MY PRESENT EMPLOYER
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Employment Law
10/8/2008
Employment Lawyer: Roger, Lawyer replied 9 years ago
Roger, Lawyer

You can absolutely sue your employer. You may be required to exhaust administrative remedies established by the company, or take your dispute before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) (www.eeoc.gov) prior to filing suit in civil court. Whether you have to do this depends on your company's written policies with regard to employee grievances.

If there are no policies, or after you've gone through the administrative steps, you can file suit in civil court. An employer is not immune from being sued by its employees or anyone else.

Roger, Lawyer