How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask AlexiaEsq. Your Own Question
AlexiaEsq., Managing Attorney
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 13542
Experience:  19+ Years of Legal Practice in the Employment law arena.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
AlexiaEsq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i currently work for the kroger co. ihave been suspended for

Customer Question

i currently work for the kroger co. ihave been suspended for six weeks now with no return date prvided.kroger refuses to return communication after numerous phone contacts and certified mail.i am also due vacation pay that i have requested and the company refuses to pay it due to suspension.i have not been terminated by anyone.the company has alterd employee records to use the union bagaining agreements progressive disipline procedures as a tacktick of financial distress.the alterations made was th claimthat a probation date was in effect but does not have the required documents to show this. what are my rights at this point and what might be the best way to deal with this.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  AlexiaEsq. replied 8 years ago.



Thank you for your question and I look forward to assisting you. Please keep in mind that I can only respond to your post and the information contained in it, as I do not know what you know unless you describe it fully. Also, oftentimes there are future facts that are as yet undetermined in your matter, that can and must leave some areas of information provided by me broad in nature. However, don't hesitate to ask for clarification if needed! At times, there can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break. That being said...


As you are in the Union, you MUST seek proper representation from you Union to fight on your behalf. Look at your union agreement as to what your Union is obligated to do for you - hopefully it is required to stand in, either with a represenative for you or an attorney. First, it must be determined if your were fairly suspended under your union contract. It must also be determined if your suspension amounts to an unjustified termination in breach of the union contract. If you have possession of the documents defining your rights as a union member, look for terms defining if and when vacation pay is forfeited (if every) and if suspension can suffice. Usually progressive discipline procedures involve having the employee sign such documents, not in agreement with the discipline but in acknowledgment of having notice of same - if your signature is not on these documents that the company is trying to assert against you - you may have a basis to urge that these records are fraudulent OR that you were simply never given notice of any problem. Because this is a very fact specific matter, a full review of all employee/employer and union documents really must be had - your union should have a duty to represent you to at least determine if the suspection and/or termination was kosher under the contract. If it is not determined to be kosher, than the union should be further representing your rights in securing your employment back. If your union is failing to represent you based on your contract (this is what you pay for in dues), then you will need to go further - i.e. consult with a union experienced labor attorney in your jurisdiction who can obtain discovery on your behalf and determine which of your rights have been violated with regard to the above possibilities.



I hope you have found this information informative and/or helpful. If so, please click the GREEN "ACCEPT" button NOW, in order that it be recognized as such and I receive credit for same from the company. Your promptness is greatly appreciated. In addition, Positive "FEEDBACK" and BONUSES are also appreciated. If you need additional related follow up on this particular question afterwards, don't hesitate to Reply. And if you would like my assistance in the future, just put my name, STEPHANIE JOY, in your title or first sentence of post. Thanks!




Stephanie Joy


Please note: A times there can be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break. In addition, if it is late at night, EST, and we are between postings, I may go get some shut eye, but I'll be back, so never fear. On Saturday, there will be greater gaps in time due to scheduling, for any needed follow up, but rest assured, by day's end it will be done.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me here is not legal advice. You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice and you agree that the nominal price you may pay for information here clearly does not pay for any legal advice. I am neither establishing nor accepting an attorney-client relationship with you. The only method of gaining an attorney/client relationship with me is via a retainer and fee agreement at my standard billable hour rate of $275.00, which is not offered via this site. I am providing only research, resources, opinion and information for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented with the understanding that you will do your proper due diligence and appropriate follow up if needed. I do not provide general or specific legal advice on this site. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided or state whose law would apply, if any. My licensing credentials are noted in my profile, which you have full access to. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and its associated sites. As law is always changing, you are recommended to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate and complete information. Thank you and have a great day.

Related Employment Law Questions