Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

What are my rights if my employer cannot afford to pay me ...

Customer Question
What are my rights if...
What are my rights if my employer cannot afford to pay me and has not successfully paid me for a month?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Employment Law
8/1/2008
Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 9 years ago
Employers must pay employees for all hours worked and failure to do so is a violation of the Fair Labor Standards Act. You need to file a wage claim with the state labor department and/or the U.S. Department of Labor. Then you can obtain a wage judgment that you can enforce through the courts and place a lien on any company assets. Now, even if the employer files bankruptcy, you can file a claim in the bankruptcy because employee wages are priority payments.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney