Jane Doe Deer
Jane Doe Deer, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney since 1986; Plain English - Discrimination, Fire/Hire, Non-Compete, etc.
10033880

How many times does a person get written up before they can ...

Customer Question

How many times does a person get written up before they can be fired? Is it the same for every company in the state of Kansas or can every company be different from the next? I have been with my present employer for zbout 7 months. Do they have the right to fire me on the spot? I have only been written up once.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Jane Doe Deer replied 9 years ago.

Hello and thanks so much for using Just Answer. Yes, companies can make up their own rules.

I will need just a little bit more information before I can respond:

Did you get an employee handbook when you were hired? If so, did it have a section on termination?

I'll look forward to your response!

BTW, sometimes there can be a delay of many hours before I can get back to you. Be patient; I won't forget you, and I can usually respond within no more than 8 hours.

Merry

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Merry A. Kogut, Attorney at Law, WA's Post: I don't recall anything in the handout that tells about termination. I work for Midland Management Inc., who manages several different properties in in the state of Kansas. I know that the handout does not state how many times a person can be written up before terminated. On my written review it states that a person could be excused for a few days without pay and 2 other options that I don't recall. I was would like to know if they have to give you three written warnings before they can fire you. There was no probationary period.

There are no such rules unless you work for a public employer or unless they've adopted such rules through a union contract or through internal policies. Most employees are "at will" which means that you could work somewhere 18 years and could be fired because you wore green socks to work one day.

What were you written up for? What was your job?