Employment Law

I was deemed eligible for out-of-state unemployment ins but ...

I was deemed eligible for...
I was deemed eligible for out-of-state unemployment ins but the state I worked for that discharged me for not passing a competency exam with a 90% or higher is appealing the decision and is now claiming I should not be eligible. (I got a 89% and was challenging a couple of questions due to the... Read full answer
I was deemed eligible for out-of-state unemployment ins but the state I worked for that discharged me for not passing a competency exam with a 90% or higher is appealing the decision and is now claiming I should not be eligible. (I got a 89% and was challenging a couple of questions due to the wording before I knew my final score). The hearing is set for 4-10 and I''m confused because the adjudication team felt it was not a discharge of misconduct and the employer originally did not say misconduct but now the appeal letter seems to be indicating it(by using other words). This employer originally did not indicate misconduct. more to follow below - sorry about that.Customer
4/7/2008
Anne_C
Anne_C, Lawyer

Dear XXXXXtta, Georgia:

I'm a little confused about what happened in what state. Can you give me a time line -- what state did you work in, from what time to what time? And where do you live now?

Reply to Anne_C's Post: I live in Georgia now. Lived and worked in Nevada up until last September.   I got a job at a non-profit hospital and was employed from October thru the end of Jan when I was discharged for failing to pass a competency exam with a passing grade of 90% or better. It was determined that I was eligible in Nevada where I had earned the qualifying worked base quarters having been denied in Georgia due to not working the required time to be eligible for compensation through GA. There was an eligibility process done through the State of Nevada where they interviewed and investigated my discharge for the Employer in which I worked for approx 3 mos. It was determined with the information that both I and my Employer in GA provided the interviewer in Nevada that I was not discharged due to misconduct resulting in me being eligible for unemployment benefits to be paid by the State of Nevada. It was after the written results had been received by the Employer who discharged me in Georgia that they submitted an appeal to question the eligibility due to what they now feel is misconduct since misconduct does not constitute eligibility. My question is by what means can they expect the decision to be turned around by this hearing? In their letter of appeal they stated that due to my not being able to pass this test, that was up for challenge by me, I was obviously unfit to do my job. Ouch I say but getting back to my main concern. I am concerned about this due to the fact that all the documents that I have from my employer who discharged me and the investigative decision made by Nevada Dept of Labor all indicative that I was not discharged due to misconduct, but it seems that the employer is now appealing the decision to say it is misconduct. Confusing. Do you better understand what information I am trying to obtain?
My hearing is via telephone on Wednesday. Thank you in advance and do let me know if I have made myself clearer. Customer

Dear XXXXXtta, Georgia:

I agree with you. As painful as not passing the test must be, that does not mean that you were discharged for cause -- it means you were let go because you were not qualified for the position. Your situation is what unemployment benefits are for.

To deny you unemployment insurance benefits, either those paid by Georgia or Nevada, you need to be discharged for cause. The reason for discharge has to be your fault. It certainly doesn't look like you did anything intentionally here, especially considering that you only missed qualifying for the position by 1 percentage point.

Here is a link to Georgia's Department of Labor Unemployment Insurance Benefits, if you need it: http://www.dol.state.ga.us/js/unemployment_benefits_individuals.htm. Here is a link to a Claimant's Handbook: http://www.dol.state.ga.us/pdf/forms/dol414.pdf. Here is a link to a book on the Appeals Process : http://www.dol.state.ga.us/pdf/forms/dol424b.pdf.

Keep in mind that sometimes employers will appeal unemployment benefits, just because it really doesn't cost them anything to do so -- and if the person receiving the benefits doesn't appear at the hearing, they will win.

Anne_C
Anne_C, Lawyer
You, Anne, are a God-send to me and I truly appreciate your prompt response that has resulted in easing my concerns. I was so taken back about this when I received it and my initial response was the feeling my character, integrity, and merit was being attacked. I realized that I shouldn't be taking this as a personal attack and that it was only a business decision to appeal but this still hurt me.
I appreciate you in sharing your knowledge with me regarding the appeal and I truly thank you very much. Respectfully,Customer
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
I work at a hospital and was written and suspended for 2
I work at a hospital and was written and suspended for 2 days no pay up for doing sending an exam off to US after doing mammogram -common practice- they claimed the order used was not valid to indicat… read more
Attorney,
My questions: 1. Do I have a case to sue my employer? and 2.
My questions: 1. Do I have a case to sue my employer? and 2. Is it likely that I can collect unemployment if I file? My last day of employment is on Friday, August 14. Background: I felt forced to res… read more
In Ny can an employee receive unemployment benefits after entering into a settlement agree
In Ny can an employee receive unemployment benefits after entering into a settlement agreement and submitting a letter of irrevocable resignation? What should the wording be in the settlement agreemen… read more
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq.
Employment Lawyer,
Juris Doctor, Cum Laude
Stop searching for answers—
My boss, one of the senior executives of the company, was recently
My boss, one of the senior executives of the company, was recently laid off. The company is reorganizing, and I am fearful I will be demoted to report to a lower level manager who has always been my p… read more
I was initially denied unemployment at the advisement of my
I was initially denied unemployment at the advisement of my manager I give a two weeks notice. I would have been layed off/discharged in two weeks anyway as there was no more work available that match… read more
Lawyer,
I received a notice of local office interview. The relevant
I received a notice of local office interview. The relevant paragraph states: "A question has been raised regarding your eligibility for unemployment insurance benefits for the period beginning 08/04/… read more
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq.
Employment Lawyer,
Juris Doctor, Cum Laude
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
I worked for autozone as a commercial manager and I was let
I worked for autozone as a commercial manager and I was let go because I was not given a lunch break so i asked the driver to bring me something back to eat after his last delivery. Because I am a dia… read more
I was discharged from my job as an EMT from a medical clinic
I was discharged from my job as an EMT from a medical clinic in early December. My employer called me into his office and said that a coworker had filed a complaint against me, that it was felt that I… read more
Lawyer,
I was denied my unemployment benefits with the determination
I was denied my unemployment benefits with the determination of the following statute for GA. Section 34-8-194 (2) (A) My seperation notice states Employer requested employees resignation due to confl… read more
MDLaw
MDLaw
Attorney,
I was fired from my job on 3/08/12 after only working there
I was fired from my job on 3/08/12 after only working there for 2 months. The reason I was fired was because I was just indicted for something that happened 3 years ago. I am a resident of West Virgin… read more
dkennedy
dkennedy
Attorney,
I was working for a Financial Planning firm in San Rafael,
I was working for a Financial Planning firm in San Rafael, Ca. and was let go. My employer allowed me to write a letter of resignation to the broker dealer in order to not affect my security license w… read more
jrbonkow My son was denied unemployment benefits in Wisc&#
jrbonkow: My son was denied unemployment benefits in Wisconsin because unmployment determined he was fired due to "misconduct. He was employed for almost 4 years at a company in Green Bay WI. He had s… read more
Employment lawyer,
Stop searching for answers—
I was terminated - stating gross misconduct to unemployment
I was terminated - stating gross misconduct to unemployment insurance, but actually made a medication error. Does this sound like gross misconduct?… read more
Lawyer,
I would like to know if my employer stated he would NOT contest
I would like to know if my employer stated he would NOT contest my unemployment claim for "intimidating another employee" can Dupage County, Illinois contest my claim in adjudication? UI stated that i… read more
Lawyer,
I received this letter from the State of Connecticut unemployment
I received this letter from the State of Connecticut unemployment and I am confused as to whether I was denied for a certian period of time or denied completely. As, they stated ineligible from 11/8/2… read more
Attorney Wayne
Attorney Wayne
Attorney-at-Law,
I filed for PA unemployment. I have worked with the same lawyer
I filed for PA unemployment. I have worked with the same lawyer for almost 23 yrs. The workload was extremely heavy and too much for me. I made mistakes and the lawyer was always getting mad at me. I … read more
Attorney and Counselor at Law, Mediator,
I quit my job last July. The main reason was the stress from
I quit my job last July. The main reason was the stress from the management in Taiwan and the effect on my health. My immediate supervisor was constantly telling me he was covering for me and protecti… read more
Cedric
Cedric
Attorney at Law,
I am located in Birmingham, AL. I was recently terminated
I am located in Birmingham, AL. I was recently terminated from employment. I made a error on an order in house back in June 2008 that could costs the company $10k. I offered to resign to my immediate … read more
Trial Lawyer,