Employment Law

My ex husband was fired from his job due to a bad drug ...

Customer Question
My ex husband was fired...
My ex husband was fired from his job due to a bad drug test, which someone set him up. The company outright told some of the employees why he was fired. Now, a year later, he was pulled in from the state regarding his cdl licence, and has to go for counceling for 6 months and is on probation for his cdl licening for 5... Read full answer
My ex husband was fired from his job due to a bad drug test, which someone set him up. The company outright told some of the employees why he was fired. Now, a year later, he was pulled in from the state regarding his cdl licence, and has to go for counceling for 6 months and is on probation for his cdl licening for 5 years. He was going to fight it but it''s been over a year, can he still fight it, didn''t the previous employer violate his rights of privacy and isn''t 5 years a bit harsh?
Submitted: 11 years ago.Category: Employment Law
3/2/2008
Employment Lawyer: BusinessDoc, Consultant replied 11 years ago
BusinessDoc
BusinessDoc, Consultant
Could you please provide some details on the "bad drug test"?

Was this drug test done as part of a DOT test?
No, There was a rumor, so they pulled him off the job, twice, and he passed both times, then, he was on a five day notice for another one, and he had a class he went to, someone told him, don't drink the water, it tastes really bad, but he did anyway, was pulled for a drug test and failed the third one at a class. Now, a year later after he was fired, someone sent a letter to his new employee,about the incident, and obviously notified the state, and they now put him on counceling for 6 months, and probation for 5 yrs.
"He was pulled for a drug test and faile the thrid one at a class" Was this test performed as a DOT test?

When was this drug test? Was the test reviewed by a medical review officer (MRO)?
Reply to BusinessDoc's Post: He came up positive for a drug, which he doesn't do. I assume cocaine, he had 2 drug tests prior on a rumor which he passed. The company then told him they would check him 5 days later at CPR class, one of the workers told him, not to drink the water 'cause it tasted bad, but my ex, being diabetic needed a drink, took the urine test and failed and was fired. He started his own business, after that, which by the way, he was fired in March 07, and then started working for another company a few months ago. His new employer received a letter about the incident and it was also repoted to the state.He was ordered to take another drug test, which he passed. Now he has counceling for 6 months, and probations for 5 years on his cdl license. This man has had a perfect record in the tree business for over 20 years, now this. He was never arrested, clean driving record, and was not even working that day. I'm concerned because I think he is being treated as if it was a MTO, which legally I feel it would not fall into that category.
I'm still unclear - Was he working as a truck driver or other DOT regulated occupation at the time that this drug test was done? Was the test done by his (DOT regulated) employer at that time?

Also; you used the abbreviation MTO - could you clarify that abbreviation?
Reply to BusinessDoc's Post: He is a tree climber. He was at a CPR class for the company. MTO is a Major Traffic Offense. He has his CDL license to drive a commercial truck for Tree removal, storm damage, etc. He was employed by a Tree Service Company not a state job.
The DOT has very specific rules governing positive drug tests. To return to any safety sensitive position with a DOT regulated employer (such as driving a truck), he would need to be evaluated by a substance abuse professional and undergo any additional testing/therapy required. He would also be subject to return to duty testing.

The CDL probation is issued by the DMV - and is in keeping with the aggressive approach to positive drug testing among CDL drivers.

I doubt that there is anything he can do at this point as far as an appeal since this occurred 1 year ago.
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
Is there somebody available whom would have knowledge of DOT
Hi, is there somebody available whom would have knowledge of DOT regulations regarding drug testing as wellas employment law? … read more
melissamesq
melissamesq
Attorney,
I have been divorced for almost four years. We have a 4 year
I have been divorced for almost four years . We have a 4 year old son together. Short story I have never been in trouble ever or had a dui or dug related anything. The judge has put me and my ex on no… read more
Employment lawyer,
My employer wants me to take a drug test because I fell
My employer wants me to take a drug test because I fell asleep on break and a coworker came out to my car and woke me up. I was very tired from lack of sleep combined with 12 hours night shift schedul… read more
Attorney,
Stop searching for answers—
Drug test came up positive for cough syrup. Ny. It's my
it's my husband, he had bronchitis and i had him take some of my cough syrup they took him off the job … read more
Attorney,
Can my job fire me for a first time positive drug test due
Can my job fire me for a first time positive drug test due to being hurt in the job that wasnt my fault? There's nothing in our handbook about it, I feel that I should at least be given the chance to … read more
Eric. Y., Esq.
Eric. Y., Esq.
Law/J.D.
My son was fired from his trucking firm almost 2 years ago
My son was fired from his trucking firm almost 2 years ago because he felt uncomfortable with the observer during a drug screen test. He asked for a different observer and they told him that he was fi… read more
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
I have a small trucking company, a CDL A driver refused to
I have a small trucking company, a CDL A driver refused to take the random drug test, he also called later the president of the company and told him that he has been a drug addict for the last 20 year… read more
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman
Attorney,
My husband is on fmla mental condition that has prevented
My husband is on fmla for a mental condition that has prevented him from being able to work. He has been sober for 6 years from meth and has never had problems keeping his sobriety good. He had a bad … read more
JackJD
JackJD
I was working as Assistant Director of Nursing and had been
I was working as Assistant Director of Nursing and had been in that position for 9 months, and worked in the field as RN Case Manager for 9 months prior for total just short of 18 months with this com… read more
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq.
Employment Lawyer,
Juris Doctor, Cum Laude
I was recently fired at work due to a random urine specimen.
I was recently fired at work due to a random urine specimen. Fortunately before I took the urine specimen, I explain to the head of human resource that I would not pass the urine specimen due to I hav… read more
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq.
Employment Lawyer,
Juris Doctor, Cum Laude
I was driving a truck with a CDL for a big trash company in
I was driving a truck with a CDL for a big trash company in Colorado for two years. A random drug screen was given at the work place by an outside test person. 5 employees where tested that day includ… read more
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B.
What is our recourse for a drug test coming back positive when
What is our recourse for a drug test coming back positive when we know there were no drugs involved?… read more
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B.
Stop searching for answers—
I work for Montgomery county for three years they always have
I work for Montgomery county for three years they always have a random urinalysis drug test , in November 9 it was a test and I did it , not expecting nothing different than before , but in nov.15 a p… read more
MDLaw
MDLaw
Attorney,
My grandson was recently fired because he failed a flag safety
My grandson was recently fired because he failed a flag safety test. He was fired yesterday on 5/4/11 & was recently hired last monday at Midasco LLC in Laurel MD last week & was working with a crew o… read more
Partner,
I had progressive discipline used to fire me I had gone 8 months
I had progressive discipline used to fire me I had gone 8 months from the time of my last accident and damaged equipment they used a double failed to follow directions and damage to equipment.The comp… read more
Legalease
Legalease
Attorney At Law,
Doctor of Law w/ highest honors
Hi, I was fired because I refused to take a drug test. Ive
Hi, I was fired because I refused to take a drug test. I've been employed p/t for 2yrs and 3mo. I was a model employee co-workers liked me, customers looked for me. We are given pins when a customer c… read more
Attorney,
I was working on a shutdown and one of the companys had my
I was working on a shutdown and one of the company's had my badge pull, but it wasn't the company that i work for and that was in march. The company would never say why my badge was pulled, But the co… read more
MDLaw
MDLaw
Attorney,
State of Georgia / family owned business / propane delivery
State of Georgia / family owned business / propane delivery company: Owner brought her 35 year old son into company as "Vice-President of Operations" in 2006. Employees have repeatedly heard her say t… read more
EPLLAW
EPLLAW
Attorney,