How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask BusinessDoc Your Own Question
BusinessDoc, Consultant
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 12816
Experience:  MD, MBA - Consulting & teaching in business and HR management issues
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
BusinessDoc is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can I sue my employer for unpaid wages that were promised

Customer Question

I was hired with a salary of $52,000.00 but am being paid $45,000.00. Boss said the figure she quoted me included the benefits. This was never directly stated to me. 5 months after I started she had me sign a contract postdated to my starting date. The last page states my salary as $52,000.00 with benefits. There is no mention of what the base salary is.
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  BusinessDoc replied 9 years ago.
First of all, while it is possible to sue someone for almost anything, the reality what is more likely is the likelyhood that this will be sucessful.

First of all, the difference between what you were allegedly offered, and what you are being paid is relatively small ($7,000) and legal fees would likely eat up much of your award if you were to be sucessful.

Second: You apparently DID sign a contract that you said was "post dated" to the hire date with $52,000 with benefits. This contract will be used in evidence, with the claim that you did sign it at the hire date. (You of course will claim that it was signed later under duress)

Obviously, any suit will be a source of friction between you and your employer, and it is unlikely that you would progress (or possibly have your contract extended) at the end of your current contract.

You need to have this case, and the contract reviewed by an attorney in your area, considering of coures the potential benefits and risks of any such approach.

Other options - negotiate a raise (if your work is worth of a higher wage, and the employer is otherwise impress with your work) or find another job, this time get the offer in writing (contract) BEFORE you accept the position.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to FamilyPhysician's Post: First of all, while it is possible to sue someone for almost anything, the reality what is more likely is the likelyhood that this will be sucessful.

So you wouldn't mind if 16 percent of your wages were to be withheld from you? Who are you to say what is a small amount.
Based on that statement alone, I suspect your qualification to handle this question. Or any other for that matter.
Do you think you have to preach to me? I don't need to be told it would endanger my standing with my employer if I sued her.
Finish high school before you try to practice law.
Expert:  BusinessDoc replied 9 years ago.
I will opt out and and see if another expert can be of assistance to you.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Don't bother. I will not use your site again.
Do not send me any more emails.