ChrisC
ChrisC, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  15 years as a professional computer technician.
56108293

I recently, yesterday set up a new Microsoft account;

Customer Question

I recently, yesterday set up a new Microsoft account;***@******.***. I thought I had set up the correct password ***** I could't get in. I tried to recover the password ***** it got denied. I'm thinking that Mircosoft is checking for emails but I have never used the outlook account for my emails. Any suggestions JA: Are you logged into your Outlook account on any other devices? Customer: I have a 2nd outlook account for my work which is ******@sasnb.org JA: Do you have security questions or a phone number on file to help reset your password? Customer: I thought I had added my cell which is 707********* JA: Anything else you want the Email Expert to know before I connect you? Customer: No, you have been helpful. Thank you

Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Email
Expert:  ChrisC replied 8 days ago.

Hi, my name is***** am sorry to hear you are having this issue.

Please read the following response carefully. There are only a couple of ways to recover a Microsoft account. If you are unable to recover the account via either of those methods, then the account is lost and your only option is to create a new account.

It sounds like you may have already tried this, but the primary method for resetting a Hotmail password ***** ***** using the online account recovery tool. That tool can be found by clicking on the following link:

https://account.live.com/password/reset

It will take you to a page where it will try to verify you as the owner of the account. If it can verify you, then it will give you the option to reset your password ***** recover your account.

If for some reason you are unable to verify the account, then what you will need to do is submit an account recovery form to Microsoft. You can do that by clicking on this link:

https://account.live.com/acsr

Be sure to include an e-mail address where you can be reached. Someone from the Microsoft account team will review the form and then contact you.

These are the only methods that Microsoft provides for resetting an account password. As mentioned, if you try both these methods and can't get back into the account, then all you can do is start over with a new account.

I'm sure this is frustrating for you. If you have any further questions on this, just let me know. Bear in mind that I do not personally have access to your account or the ability to reset your password.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thank you for the help. Why then did I get an email from Just Answer giving me a "temporary password" to my Microsoft account?
Expert:  ChrisC replied 8 days ago.

I am not sure why would you would receive an e-mail like that because JustAnswer does not issue passwords to Microsoft accounts. So I don't know what it is that you received. That doesn't make sense.