Email

Need help with email? Ask your email questions online

Android phone. Samsung. 48 hours lost my phone can't reach…

Customer Question
Android phone Technician's Assistant:...

Android phone

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your Android phone?

Samsung

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your Samsung phone? What have you tried so far?

48 hours lost my phone can't reach device

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Smartphone Expert to know before I connect you?

No yes

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Email
6/1/2018
Email technician: Jess M., Computer Support Specialist replied 2 months ago
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist

Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.
I am very sorry about your issues. Few things first:

1. Are you using a Windows computer right now or a Mac?
  2. What exactly is the problem you are having?

Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further.
Best regards,
Jess

mac
I lost my phone
I can't reach my device on google

And what do you want to accomplish?

i want to locate my device
Does the phone battery have to be charged to locate device?

Are you able to login to THE SAME Gmail account that you used on your device?

i can look. How do I look for that? Why? How will your question help me locate my device?
Second request.......does my phone battery have to be charged to locate device?

Sorry for the confusion. Please give me a moment to type the explanation.

google can't locate my device. why?
huh?

For you to locate your Device, few things should be met.

First, you need to LOGIN to the Gmail account that you used on that lost device. If you only have ONE Gmail account, then there is a chance that that ONLY Gmail account is the one linked to the lost phone.

Now, if you have several Gmail accounts, you need to LOGIN to each account, and do the Find My Device procedures again. Your phone can only be located if you are initiating the finding of the device in the CORRECT account.

However, even if you are logged in to the correct Gmail or Google account right now, Google can ONLY locate your phone and even RING it if your phone is TURNED ON and connected to the internet.

If your phone is OFF or NOT connected to the internet, Google cannot locate your device.

I hope that helped.

Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) if this helped. Tips are always highly appreciated!

If you need further assistance, please do not rate me negatively with 1 or 2 faces. Instead, please reply to me so that I can help you further.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess

my primary gmail is opened. I simply went to "find your phone" link on google and followed steps. it can't find my device. what is the correlation between my opened gmail and the find your device link? How does your answer apply here?
how do I initiate the finding device in my primary account?
i do not see a "find your device" option when i look at my primary gmail account which is currently open

When you initiated the "Find your Phone" process, was your phone name and model shown?

I lost my phone on vacation, 200 miles away. What is the coverage area for the find your phone technology?

Then that means that you are using or logged in to the Gmail or Google account where your device was added, linked or listed. You are on the correct Gmail/Google account.

So the main reason now as to WHY Google cannot locate your device is because:

1. Your phone could have been turned OFF
  2. Your phone is NOT connected to the internet. That is, it is not connected to any wifi and data service is OFF

In these 2 cases, Google cannot connect to your phone and therefore, cannot show you the location of the device.

I just tried that right now and Google was able to locate my device when it is ON and connected to wifi or cellular data. I turned OFF data and wifi, even if the phone is ON, Google cannot locate the phone.

I hope that helped.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess

second request. I lost my phone on vacation, 200 miles away. What is the coverage area for the find your phone technology?
I currently have a second phone with me. Exactly what data on my current device is saved on my google account? Priorities are the following. Text Messages. Quick Memos. Pictures, which are saved onto my External card.

There is NO coverage area. As long as the phone is turned ON, and connected to the internet, Google can connect to it and determine its location and report back to you in the page where you are doing the Find My device.

However, if your phone is OFF or NOT connected to the internet, Google cannot connect to it to retrieve its location.

Going forward. On my current phone with me, How can I save my test messages. Quick Memos. And phone number data including address, email and notes for each contact.

Definitely, text messages are NOT stored on your Google account.

The only data stored with your Google account are your personal info, emails (through Gmail) and your contacts.

However, if you use other Google services like Google Photos, then any pictures you uploaded to Google Photos will be available ANYWHERE as long as you can access your Google/Gmail account.

Also, Google has Google Drive. It is a cloud storage. Anything you upload or sync to your Google Drive will be stored with your account and will be available anywhere and any time as long as you can access your Google/Gmail account.

I hope that helped.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess

will the photos be organized into labeled albums like in my phone?

Yes, you can try it out. But the default organization of your pictures is by DATE.

If you currently have photos uploaded, you can view them in the link below as long as you are logged in to your Google/Gmail account:

https://photos.google.com/

My lost phone was last seen May 26, 2018. What does this mean exactly? ALSO, it was last synched 5.29.18 at 1052pm the same night I lost it. what does this mean? what is the correlation. And How can this information help me locate my phone?
you. photos uploaded. me. most photos are saved to my external card. Others are saved onto phone. which ones are auto saved onto google?

Unfortunately, like what I already mentioned, Google cannot locate your phone if it is OFF or if it is NOT connected to cellular data or wifi.

Those information cannot help in finding your phone. Those information only meant that it was last sync with Google services on 5.29.18 so it means that by that time, your phone was ON and connected to the internet.

Now, if someone found it and turned it OFF, or even worse, if it RESET your phone, you can never use the Find my device feature of Google to locate your phone.

As to the last question, if your phone storage is SYNCED to your Google Drive, then it is autosaved to your Google account.

If i find my lost phone. What was synched exactly?
Second request. what does "last seen" mean?
How do I know I have google photos? And are my photos auto saved by google. Or do I have to manually upload? Also do they only upload phone pics NOT stored on my external card?

Are you reading my answers? Most of your questions were answered already.

I need the questions that were not answered. Answered.
The following questions need answered....

By last synced, it means the device was "re-connected" to your Google account.

By last seen, I am not certain. I am not seeing such information on my account. But it can mean that your phone was last logged in to your Gmail account on that "last seen" date.

All Gmail accounts are Google accounts. All Google accounts have access to ALL Google services like Google Photos. So you have Google Photos since you have a Google account.

I gave you the link to access Google photos. Here it is:

https://photos.google.com/

You can download the Google Photos app to manage your photos. That is, to have a location on your phone where photos are saved to your Google Photos automatically. It only upload pics on the Google Photo app.

what does "last seen" mean? How do I know I have google photos? And are my photos auto saved by google. Or do I have to manually upload? Also do they only upload phone pics NOT stored on my external card? If I find my lost phone. What was synched exactly? you. photos uploaded. me. most photos are saved to my external card. Others are saved onto phone. which ones are auto saved onto google?

Answered. Please read my last post.

I already read your "last synched" answer the first time. And understood what it meant. Please answer my UNANSERED QUESTIONS only.

What exactly are the unanswered questions.

I will re-post the answers.

WHICH photos are uploaded to google from my phone? The ones saved on my external card or NOT.

ok let me answer that

See my list of unanswered questions ABOVE
YOU. By last seen, I am not certain. I am not seeing such information on my account. But it can mean that your phone was last logged in to your Gmail account on that "last seen" date. ME. what do you mean, here, my phone was last logged into gmail account? How does my phone log into my gmail account? I only opened my gmail. How is this related, IF at all?
are my photos auto saved by google. Or do I have to manually upload? Also do they only upload phone pics NOT stored on my external card? most of my photos are saved to my external card. Others are saved onto phone. which ones are auto saved onto google?

what does "last seen" mean?

By last seen, I believe that means your phone was last logged in to your Gmail account on that "last seen" date.

How do I know I have google photos?

https://photos.google.com/

And are my photos auto saved by google. Or do I have to manually upload?

You need to install Google Photos in your device and manage your storage folders there. All folders that you include in your Google Photos will be uploaded to your Google automatically. Regardless if the pictures are in the external memory card or phone memory.

Also do they only upload phone pics NOT stored on my external card?

That is answered above. I repeat, you need to install Google Photos and manage your folders there. All folders that you include in your Google Photos on your device will be uploaded to your account automatically.

If I find my lost phone. What was synched exactly?

By last synced, it means the device was "re-connected" or "refreshed its connection" to your Google account.

I hope that clarifies.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess

During the refreshed connection was new data from my phone saved? IF so, what new data exactly was saved?
Install Google Photos onto my phone? How much space is the app? Once installed how does it effect the phone albums I already created? DO I have to move my phone albums into the google photos app?

It does not necessarily mean data are saved. For instance, if you added 5 contacts, those contacts are NOT saved unless your phone is synced to your account.

However, if there are no changes made, then nothing will be saved.

As to what data, I already answered that: emails in Gmail and contacts.

Install Google Photos onto my phone? Yes

How much space is the app? Please check Google Playstore locate Google Photos. You will see all information there.

Once installed how does it effect the phone albums I already created? NO

DO I have to move my phone albums into the google photos app? NO. You just have to select those albums or folder in your Google Photos app to include them for syncing.

I hope that clarifies.

If you need further assistance, you can request me any time.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess

YOU. By last synced, it means the device was "re-connected" or "refreshed its connection" to your Google account. ME. During the refreshed connection (OR THE LAST SYNC) was new data from my phone saved? IF so, what new data exactly was saved?YOU. It does not necessarily mean data are saved. For instance, if you added 5 contacts, those contacts are NOT saved unless your phone is synced to your account. ME. IF NEW DATA WAS ADDED, THEN MY PHONE WAS SYNCED. THEN THE NEW DATA MUST BE SAVED. CORRECT?

Correct.