Email

Need help with email? Ask your email questions online

Receiving lots and lots of garbage emails. Have unsubscribed…

Customer Question
Receiving lots and lots...

Receiving lots and lots of garbage emails. Have unsubscribed many times. Doesn't happen. What can I do?

Technician's Assistant: Who is your email provider (Gmail, Yahoo, Outlook, etc.)?

Yahoo

Technician's Assistant: How do you usually access Yahoo? On a phone or tablet, or through a web browser?

Web browser

Technician's Assistant: What troubleshooting have you tried?

Just unsubscribing

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Email
5/25/2018
Email technician: ChrisC, Computer Enthusiast replied 2 months ago
ChrisC
ChrisC, Computer Enthusiast

Hi, my name is Chris!

If you have already used the unsubscribe button, then your options are limited.

The problem here is that anyone can send you an e-mail. It's no different from someone in the physical world being able to send you a letter. If someone wants to send you a letter, they drop it in the mail and it shows up in your mailbox a few days later. The only way to stop them would be to go and physically force them not to send that letter.

It's the same with e-mail: Anyone who has your e-mail address can send that e-mail and the only way to stop them would be to go and physically restrain them from clicking the Send button.

Hopefully the e-mails you don't want are going into your spam folder. If so, you can feel free to ignore them because they will automatically be deleted. You don't even have to go in and delete them yourself. I get literally hundreds of spam e-mails a day and I simply ignore them. The only time I even click on that folder is if an e-mail I've been looking for hasn't shown up and I think it may have been incorrectly filtered as spam.

On the other hand, if the e-mails are going into your inbox, then if you look near the top of the screen you'll see a button that with a shield icon that says Spam. If you click on that then it will mark the e-mail as spam. And then the next time someone from that address tries to e-mail you, it will automatically filter it out into the spam folder and it will never hit your inbox.

Beyond that, the only thing you could do would be to create an entirely new, clean e-mail account and then only give that address to trusted friends and business colleagues so that the spammers don't know how to reach you.

I hope this explains it. If you have any questions, just let me know.

NOTE: If you have no further questions, please use the rating box at the top of the page to rate the answer at least 3 STARS or better so that I receive credit for assisting you. Just click to rate.