Email

Need help with email? Ask your email questions online

I tried the gmail recovery steps several times, and it keeps…

Customer Question
I tried the gmail...

I tried the gmail recovery steps several times, and it keeps telling me that it’s not enough information to verify that’s it’s me

Technician's Assistant: How do you usually access Gmail? On a phone or tablet, or through a web browser?

Phone

Technician's Assistant: What troubleshooting have you tried?

IPhone

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Email Expert to know before I connect you?

No that’s about it

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Email
You can email me at***@******.*** or call me cell(###) ###-####
The***@******.*** Is the email that I cannot access
4/2/2018
Email technician: Chris L., Support Specialist replied 3 months ago
Chris L., Support Specialist

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

This can be a very difficult situation. While there is no way I or anyone else can just give you a new password ***** can provide you with all known tips of how to best recover the password ***** google does look for specific things in your answers about your account.

If you have already tried all of the steps at the password ***** page here then unfortunately you may not be able to recover this account unless you can remember the password ***** use the back up options that are showing to you.

Gmail being a free email service does not offer any support aside from what you have seen online. A few years back they did have more options for people in your situation but now they simply suggest you create a new account or continue to tell you that they cannot verify the account is yours.

Depending on the recovery options you set up on your account you will likely be shown some or all of the following in order to prove it is yours.

Last password ***** remember

Answer security questions

Enter the account creation date

Get a text via mobile phone with a code

Now let me give you some tips for a successful recovery.

The last password ***** remember question needs to be 100% correct or else you will fail recovery.

The security question would also need to be 100% correct.

The creation date question is very tricky since almost no one remembers. This one does not have to be 100% accurate however it needs to be close, I would guess it needs to be within a month or so but the year must be correct. Some things you can do to help you remember when you created the account are:

Finding the account creation verification e-mail which would have been sent to another account you owned at the time.

If it was created as part of a new mobile device setup, check the date on the sales receipt for the device.

If the account was created for starting mobile device service, check the start date of your mobile contract.

Asking contacts if they saved a change-of-email message sent from the new Gmail account or any other e-mail you sent when the account was new.

Checking the creation date of any other accounts opened at the same time, like: PayPal, eBay, Facebook, Amazon, etc.

If you still have access to the account (perhaps from a mobile device still signed in) check the All Mail label for the original account creation e-mail or the oldest messages you still have saved.

Now as far as the code being sent to your phone goes. If you are able to get this you should be able to recover the account. If you are still denied after getting the code you likely entered one of the other things incorrectly.

Here are some more tips of things google tracks which will help prove it is your account. When trying to reset the password ***** do some from a location that you have logged into the account from before and if possible from the same computer. If you try resetting the password ***** a computer or location that you never logged into the account from before your chances of getting back in will be reduced.

All of the above said you basically need to keep trying if you want to get back into the account and try and figure out which information you have gotten wrong.

Google leaves account security 100% up to you, the user. So if you never updated your recovery options or they are out of date for example you left a phone number on the account you no longer have access to then you are out of luck.

Hopefully this saves you some time in the long run and prevents anything like this from ever happening again. It would be greatly appreciated if you could rate my reply to you by clicking 3 stars are more. I of course understand this is not great news news but you are just rating me personally and not google, their policies, or the situation itself.

Thank you

It doesn’t ask me for a security question, it only asks me for the last password ***** the creation date of my email

If that is all it is asking it means you never added your recovery options such as a secondary email address and a phone number. Your only options are to answer both of those questions 100% right unfortunately. This is why it is very important to make sure you keep your recovery options up to date. If you cannot reset the password ***** will not be able to get back in this account. There are no ways around this I am sorry to say.

Ok thank you, ***** ***** email wouldn’t have been hacked right? Because it my email asked to update my password ***** when I did all these problems happened

Oh you didn't mention that before. Yes that is exactly what happened. If you received an email that asked for your password ***** you provided then yes your account is hacked. Google would never ask you for your password.

How do I fix This? It was through my iPhone
Oh man, I have Serious information like my social, tax information etc
I didnt Receive an email, it popped up when I was Already logged in on my phone app

You can't fix it now. What is done is done. This is like if your house was robbed because you gave a stranger the keys if you know what I mean. Did you provide any other personal information aside from your password, like a social security number for example?

No, just to update my password

Ok good. In many cases hackers just want the email address so they can use it to send spam to other people. So they may not even bother to look through your personal information. What I would suggest you do is start playing damage control. If you used your gmail password ***** any other sites like facebook or your bank for example change all of them. Also you may want to sign up with a company to protect yourself from identity theft Give lifelock a call https://www.lifelock.com/

They do a good job of monitoring for your personal information on the internet and can stop problems before they happen. So, change any passwords that were the same as the google password ***** soon as you can and go to the lifelock website and give them a call, the number is ***** the top right of the site. Explain what happened and see if they can help. I am really sorry that this happened to you. At this time Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today.