Email

Need help with email? Ask your email questions online

I switched phones and the messages I had in my email

Customer Question
I switched phones and...

I switched phones and the messages I had in my email disappeared

Technician's Assistant: Who is your email provider (Gmail, Yahoo, Outlook, etc.)?

Gmail They are VERY important

Technician's Assistant: How do you usually access Gmail? On a phone or tablet, or through a web browser?

Phone

Technician's Assistant: What troubleshooting have you tried?

Nothing yet

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Email
3/30/2018
Email technician: Mike Taylor, Lead Technician and Owner replied 2 months ago
Mike Taylor
Mike Taylor, Lead Technician and Owner

Hi, my name is ***** ***** welcome to JustAnswer. I'll be the one to assist you with your question regarding your issue.

Are you 100% sure you are logged into the correct gmail account?

Also if this is urgent you can login to gmail using a computer and see your emails on the main server.

It would be a good idea to do this to see if the emails are on the server to begin with, if they are NOT then that is why you cannot see them

I am on my laptop and I had my gmail account linked to my phone to back up messages and when I switched phones just now they are gone. I need them. They are VERY important

Again, do you see these emails on the main server o your laptop at gmail.com?

No
They are gone even on main server
Hello
Are you there???

Ok here is the situation

On your last phone you likely setup a pop email account for your gmail which saved everything

I did

Now that you have a new phone, they will all disappear because the ONLY place they were stored is on that phone

NOW having said that, when you performed your backup on your OLD phone did you not include a backup of your gmail account?

As default MAIL is turned OFF in icloud backup unless you go into settings and turn it on

I dont know. How would I do that?

Do you still have your other phone available?

I do not have Icloud. Mine is android
I have it but all messages are gone

I do not think you will be able to get those emails back again....

I am going to transfer this to an Android tech because I know nothing about Android phones

Please I need help!
Email technician: Joel Kalman, Network Administrator replied 2 months ago
Joel Kalman
Joel Kalman, Network Administrator

Hello. My name is Joel. I am sorry that you have been having difficulties. I can help you solve your problem. It looks like you still need assistance.

Please go to www.gmail.com using the browser on your computer and log in to your gmail account. You should see all your email messages in your inbox. They can all be displayed on your new Android smartphone by setting up your gmail account on your smartphone. I can help you do this, but first, you need to verify that they are still on the gmail server.

Ok I have my emails, but the folders that I had my messages backed up to are gone. These messages are VERY important! Can I get them back?
I thought once you put something in your email it is there until you delete it yourself!

The STANDARD GMAIL folders on the web should appear on your smartphone. The messages that you moved to the folders on your smartphone should still be in your inbox on the web. You can try searching for some of them.them to verify this.