Email

Need help with email? Ask your email questions online

Whenever I open my Google-chrome I get a popup statement…

Whenever I open my...

Whenever I open my Google-chrome I get a popup statement that google wants to update something. Is that legitimate, and what is it wanting to update? t

Technician's Assistant: Does your network appear in the Wi-Fi list on your Pop?

I don't know what you mean by my network.

Technician's Assistant: Are other devices (computer, tablet, etc.) connecting to the router?

A tablet, but it is rarely used, and has been sitting quietly under my living room chair for the past several months.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Smartphone Expert to know before I connect you?

No that;s it. Should I answer "yes" to the question "O.k. for Google to update?"

3/26/2018
Cody
Cody, Senior Systems Administrator

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today.

go to 3 dots on upper right of Chrome > help > About Google Chrome > does it show it needs updated?

I was asked for a smart phone number to receive an answer. I don't have a smart phone. And no. I don't want you to connect to my computer, just an answer to my question.
Thank you. I did that, and it is 'checking for updates" (for over 2 minutes so far) and says (while checking for updates little disc is spinning) "version 64.0.3282.186 (official build) (64bit)" It is still (now over 3 minutes) checking. Will it ever find an answer?
Cody, are you still there????

latest version is 65, let it go and see if it finds the update.

I didn't see the "Send" button. So I'll repeat what I just said. I followed your instructions, and got a message 'Checking for updates." It has been checking for over 5 minutes now. There also is the message "Version 64.0.3282.186 (official build) (64bit)" Is it going to finish checking some day?

yes it should find the latest update, if not then there is more of an issue going on.

Internet issues, dns, corrupt Chrome install. .etc

latest Version 65.0.3325.181

o.k. Thank you for that information. I will let it keep looking for version 65. I have been happy with my current version, so I guess there is no big deal if it doesn't update Thank you for your help. I'll close this off now.

sounds good, yw!

Cody
Cody, Senior Systems Administrator