Email

Need help with email? Ask your email questions online

I have six e-mail accounts in Outlook 2016. Five are IMAP,

Customer Question
I have six e-mail...

I have six e-mail accounts in Outlook 2016. Five are IMAP, and one is exchange. The exchange account invariably is the bully, and seems to do what it wants, regardless of my settings on other accounts. . For example, when I select an IMAP account as the default sending account, the send e-mails are always the exchange account, unless I manually change the send. I've spent a couple of hours looking through the dense descriptions of how IMAP, POP, and exchange work, but can't come up with a solution.

Technician's Assistant: How do you usually access Outlook? On a phone or tablet, or through a web browser?

Laptop.

Technician's Assistant: What troubleshooting have you tried?

I tried choosing other accounts as the default, and none of them will work. Exchange account always is the default send. This was not a problem with my earlier 2010 OUtlook. I also set all the accounts as IMAP, just to see if POP was the problem.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Email Expert to know before I connect you?

No, other than the fact that I'm generally confounded as to how Exchange works.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Email
3/25/2018
Email technician: Jess M., Computer Support Specialist replied 3 months ago
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist

Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.
I am very sorry about your issues. Few things first:

1. Are you using Windows 7, 8 or 10?
  2. Pleas try this: before you create a NEW email message (compose), click on the email folder (Inbox for instance) of the email account that you want to send from. When that is selected, click on NEW EMAIL (compose) and see if the sender is the account that you selected the Inbox.

Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further.
Best regards,
Jess

win 10
The result was strange. Your experiment worked on an IMAP account, but not on another IMAP account, and not on the exchange account.
No, I want an explanation of how to fix it.

Thank you for writing back with that information. Are you saying that, when you select INBOX on let's say IMAP #1, then compose a new email, the sender address is IMAP #1. But when you select INBOX for IMAP #2 or the Exchange account and create a new email (compose), the sender is still IMAP #1?

Let me clarify. When I selected IMAP 1 and clicked on new, the correct default account (which was neither IMAP 1 or IMAP 2) came up as the send account. When I clicked on IMAP 2, and on the exchange account, their respective send addresses came up, not the default.
Hello. Anyone there?

The default does not matter here in the process that I described. In the process that I described, is the problem only occurring with IMAP #1?

Let me check all six accounts. . .. Oddly, I occasionally get the correct default, but most of the time, on all six accounts, I am not getting the default. Did not have this issue with previous Outlook. All accounts defaulted to the correct send with Outlook 2010.
Waiting

What happened after checking? Same problem?

default setting is not working
Outlook 2016 default setting for the outgoing e-mail sending account does not work. I have five imap accounts, and an exchange account. The exchange account is the account that enjoys hierarchy in the account list, meaning it comes up as the default account to use when you open Outlook.I have sent one of the IMAP accounts up as the default send account, but all sends go out as whatever account they came into the inbox as, unless I change the out-mail address setting on the e-mail header before sending. I have set the default send account as one of the IMAP accounts in Account Settings, but to no avail, the outgoing mail address has to be changed manually each time.
Email technician: bbao, IT Consultant replied 3 months ago
bbao
bbao, IT Consultant

Please list the email providers (better the domain name part of the email address) of ALL your email addresses, and mark the those having problems with Outlook 2016. Thanks.

Comcast (3 accounts) Hover (one account), USAi (one account) and Uml (University of Massachusetts, Lowell) (one account)are the ISP's. All but uml are IMAP. Uml is MS ExchangeThe problem appears to be with Outlook. I switched a couple of the accounts from POP to IMAP to see if that might make a difference, It didn't. The default send account is supposed to be the Hover account, but it doesn't send through the Hover account unless that is the account chosen to send from within the message.
Did not have this problem with these same accounts when they were in Outlook 2010.

> it doesn't send through the Hover account unless

This suggests an incorrect SMTP server has been configured for the Hover account

> Did not have this problem with these same accounts when they were in Outlook 2010.

How did you upgrade from 2010 to 2016? Did you reconfigure each email box from the scratch?

Windows ten and Office configured the accounts automatically. I later changed two of the accounts to IMAP, but I did not change the Hover account.The upgrade was from a standalone Outlook on Windows 7 to Office 2016 (with Outlook) on a Windows 10 computer. It wasn't a migration upgrade. When I got a new Windows 10 computer, I availed myself of a windows 365 free Office account through my employer, UMass Lowell.

Please advise how your Hover email address looks like?***@******.***?

Do you have any problem when sign in at www.zane.net?
Or in other words, all webmail access to your emails is good?
Look, you keep asking questions and I keep answering them. I don't figure we're getting even close to an answer. If your plan is to just keep asking me questions until I:a) get tired and go away
b) agree to let you diagnose and fix my problem by remotely getting into my computer and charging me $40 bucks
then you have almost succeeded in achieving a) above.To answer your last two questions: I cannot go to zane.net, because I don't own the domain, the address is a HOVER account, as I told you before. As for web mail: I don't understand what that has to do with anything I get mail from all my six accounts. That is not the problem. The problem is that I can't get Outlook to set a default on any of my accounts. I don't understand why we're looking into all the accounts, and checking whether or not I can access them through web mail. Here is the current story. All the accounts are IMAP, except for the [email protected];uml.edu (Microsoft exchange) account The other accounts are***@******.*** (hover);*****@******.*** (Comcast);***@******.*** (Comcast);***@******.*** (Comcast); and***@******.*** (usai is the isp)Finally, I received an e-mail from just ask, telling me that they are going to bill m $48 dollars fr fixing my computer. I SPECIFICALLY, UNAMBIGUOUSLY, AND FIRMLY TOLD YOU THAT I DID NOT WANT THAT SERVICE.SO, EXACTLY WHAT KIND OF A SCAM ARE YOU RUNNING HERE.

It is a common practice to clarify what the issue is and what the environment (related things) is before concluding something and providing a solution. If you don't want o follow this way, I have to opt out. Thanks for using JustAnswer.

Email technician: UranMail, Network Administrator replied 3 months ago
UranMail
UranMail, Network Administrator

Hi, I see that you have been trying unsuccessfully to resolve your issue with Outlook and all the accounts in there.

I know you have seen the pop-ups with remote assistance offers and all others..

To make things simpler - how about i remote into your PC (for only $5 extra) and check all your account and make sure all is in order and works, and if it doesn't - I will tell you what can and cannot be done.

And here is the kicker - If you are still unhappy with my help - you get all your money back. Guaranteed.

Yes, we don't work for free, but still much more affordable than others

What do you say?

full refund is available at any moment if you do not want to continue. just say so.