Email

Need help with email? Ask your email questions online

Mail from gmail.com is not coming through, but I'm getting…

Customer Question
Mail from gmail.com is...

Mail from gmail.com is not coming through, but I'm getting other email

Technician's Assistant: How's your internet connection? Are you checking Gmail from a browser or a mail client (e.g. Outlook)?

Outlook is working fine and receiving other email

Technician's Assistant: Are there any antivirus or firewall settings that could block you from receiving mail?

I'll have to check with tech support

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Email
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/24/2018
Email technician: Jason Jones, Computer Technician replied 1 month ago
Jason Jones, Computer Technician

My name is***** will be the person helping you today.

When you attempt to receive email, what happens? Are you given any type of error message?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no error message

Thank you for responding. May I connect with you remotely to troubleshoot the issue directly? When the remote session begins, we will be able to communicate back and forth via a chat window that will appear on your computer screen.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no. the email is on a work computer. I'm on webmail

Who is your e-mail provider? Please, do not enter your full email address. If you do that, it will be blocked. For that reason, please tell me what comes after the @ sign.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
som.umaryland.edu

I am not familiar with that mail server.

It will be difficult for me to attempt to locate the culprit in your case without remotely connecting.

For this reason, I am opting out of the question and allowing another expert the chance to help.

The next expert will see all that is on this page, so there will be no need to repeat anything.

When another expert picks this up, you will be notified by email.

Thank you for your patience.

- Jason

Email technician: Jess M., Computer Support Specialist replied 1 month ago
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist

Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.
I am very sorry about your issues. Few things first:

1. Are you using a Windows computer or a Mac?
  2. Are you using a web browser like Internet Explorer, Chrome or Safari to access your email? Or are you using MS Outlook 2016?
  3. Have you checked your Junk or Spam folder to see if emails from Gmail user were there?

Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further.
Best regards,
Jess

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Windows. Outlook. They are not in junk mail.

You mentioned you are on webmail. So you can access the email is webmail and in your MS Outlook software? What version of Outlook are yo using?

Also, are the emails still missing when you access it in webmail?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I use outlook on my work computer (not sure whichversion) and webmail at home, where I am now (no gmail). I went into work to confirm that gmails were not coming through there as well.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I was getting gmails fine early yesterday, but sometime overnight they stopped coming through.

This is a university email I believe. Can you please tell me your email username (you already posted your domain name) so that I can try sending from my Gmail and see if I get a failure notification?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I already tested this from a gmail account and there was no error. Username: dmatteson

Thank you. Please give me a moment.

I just sent you a test email using my Gmail and I have not received failure delivery notification yet.

If you are in your webmail now, can you please check for me if you have a FILTER there that deletes email automatically?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How do I find that?

It is usually in SETTINGS. I am not seeing your screen so I cannot provide much details. Please check if there are command buttons there for Settings, or a gear icon, to go to the Settings of your email account on the webmail.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I checked don't move email to my junk email folder

Ok. How about filters? or Rules? I am referring to a filter because in most email systems, filters are used to automatically "do something" with incoming emails that "fits criteria". For example, a filter can be created to automatically delete an email if the domain is @gmail.com.

Also, please check your TRASH. If this is done by a filter, then the deleted emails could be in Trash.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
nothing in trash. I don't find filters or rules

Can you capture a screen shot of your webmail so that I can check if you missed something? But there are webmails also that does not have that feature especially in your case that your email is controlled by the university. The next thing that you can do is contact your university IT team that controls your email service to confirm to them if they are blocking or filtering Gmail. But what we can only do are the controls that you have on the webmail.

Please capture a screenshot and then attach it here in your reply using the Add Files button or Paper clip icon.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will check with my university IT

Yes please do so. Your email account is governed by the school and I believe you have limited control over it. In this case or type of problem, it is best to do the troubleshooting on the webmail (not Outlook) since the emails are actually there.

If you searched and there are no settings for filters, then the problem could be not within your control already. Also, I believe you did not add such auto-delete-gmail type of filter on your account since you are not even seeing the filters in your webmail.

The problem here could be latency as well. I am not receiving an FDN (Failure Delivery Notification) yet with my test email sent to you. So the university email server could have some latency issue -- that is, emails will still be received later -- if they did not filter emails. So please try checking with your IT and from there we will see the bigger picture. If you need to wait for Gmail emails to arrive in your Inbox, or if they are filtered out by the university.

In any case, please let me know. I will be happy to assist you further.

Best regards,

Jess

Jess M., Computer Support Specialist