Email

Need help with email? Ask your email questions online

I had to change my email address for apple when I moved in…

Customer Question
HI there, I had...

HI there, I had to change my email address for apple when I moved in Oct 2014as no infrastructure and couldn't continue to use optus. Change it to gmail address but still holds optus and when I try to purchase app Optus still comes up. I did add current gmail address about a year ago but it doesn't show that when i try to purchase app.Just deleted it now and then attempted to delete optus address and re-add my gmail address but it won't allow that a s it says it belongs to someone else.Please help

Technician's Assistant: How do you usually access Gmail? On a phone or tablet, or through a web browser?

Either on my iPhone 6 or apple macbook air

Technician's Assistant: What troubleshooting have you tried?

Googled it and it said to go into settings and change i at contactable addresses. Showed old one and then current one below but wouldn't allow me to delete old one so I deleted my current one and was attempting to go back and deleted optus one and re-enter gmail one but wouldn't allow this only let me enter my mobile no

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Email Expert to know before I connect you?

No that's it, just has been frustrating to fix on and off for a long time

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Email
how long does this take for answer. I have to work tomorrow and need to go to bed shortly. Didn't initially realise that I would have to pay for this fix as thought I was on apple site so no i don't wish to pay more to securely connect and fix
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/24/2018
Email technician: bbao, IT Consultant replied 4 months ago
bbao
bbao, IT Consultant

> had to change my email address for apple

Can you explain why you needed to do that.

> it won't allow that a s it says it belongs to someone else

What's your current Apple ID? Are you able to use it to sign in on any iOS or macOS device?

I wanted to download app and it showed my email address as julia.milne @ optusnet.com.au which doesn't exist anymore and I need to change this to current email address so I can get updates. Did attempt to do this about 12 months ago and was only able to change my password ***** it did allow me to put my current email in 2nd contact spot but didn't allow me to deleter optus address

Technically, Apple ID can't be changed or renamed, simply because it uses an email address as the ID, and the email address can't be changed.

Moreover, technically it doesn't matter if the Apple ID'e email address is not longer receive or send emails, as long as you know the password ***** are able to sing on the Apple ID. It will be still valid. You might have to use this ID if you have app or music investment on the existing Apple ID.

Ok, it’s just that i thought if the app updates info on how things r going in relation to progress with say exercise program, thought it had to have correct email address to do so
Thanks, ***** ***** go to bed now