Email

Need help with email? Ask your email questions online

Thunderbird will not launch. Uninstalled and still get xpcom…

Thunderbird will not launch...

Thunderbird will not launch. Uninstalled and still get xpcom error. running windows 10.

Technician's Assistant: Who is your email provider (Gmail, Yahoo, Outlook, etc.)?

Work email.

Technician's Assistant: How do you usually access your email? On a phone or tablet, or through a web browser?

Yes. through a browser

Technician's Assistant: What troubleshooting have you tried?

Uninstall and reinstall, starting in safe mode.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Email Expert to know before I connect you?

No. OK. thanks.

3/23/2018
Mike Taylor
Mike Taylor, Lead Technician and Owner

Hi, my name is ***** ***** welcome to JustAnswer. I'll be the one to assist you with your question regarding your issue

You will need to use a program like CCleaner which is a free download to uninstall Thunderbird completely from your system.

It will clean out everything to do with thunderbird so you may then install a fresh copy.

The error you see is because the old version is leaving old entries in the windows registry

Ok thanks, ***** ***** cleaner and also run a registry clean

Then restart your computer

THEN try to do a new install

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
working on it.

No problem, take your time, ill be here for ya!

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
CCleaner did fix the issue. Some other things are probably fixed but not Thunderbird.

Doing the same exact thing?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
just launching. It will not launch.

Where are you installing thunderbird from?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Thunderbird Setup 52.6.0.exe downloaded today from Mozilla.
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
The beta version has the same issues Thunderbird Setup 59.0b2.exe
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Should I delete or rename any directories in apps data?
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Is this error common?

I am honestly very unsure about how to proceed as I cannot figure out what is going on....

I am going to let others look at this and see if they know about this error more than I do..

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
OK. I think this may have started after the last windows update. I have not use Thunderbird for a while so I am not sure if the update was the cause. I was hoping I could get an answer but this is not an emergency for me.
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist

Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.
I am very sorry about your issues. Do you still need help with this problem?

Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further.
Best regards,
Jess

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Sure, I am wondering if the problem I am experiencing is fairly common. I read several posts and could not find an answer that solved the issue.
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
The other technician suggested a combination of ccleaner and reinstall. It did not help.
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
This is to resolve the launch issue with Thunderbird. It is not an emergency but it would be great to get it working again.

Thank you for writing back. Do you already have a working profile on your Thunderbird that you want to salvage or retrieve? I am asking because this could be a corrupt profile issue and I want you to try creating a new profile.

Here are the steps:

1. Press Windows key then press R to open the RUN box.
  2. In the RUN dialog box, type: thunderbird.exe -P
  3. NOTE: There is a space between e and -
  4. Click OK or press Enter
  5. If a dialog box opens, click Create a New Profile. Follow the prompts and make sure you select TBird to open with the NEW Profile.
  6. Add your email, then check if TBird opens.
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
The same crash report comes up when run from the Run box.

Ok. I suggest that you UNINSTALL TBird. But please tell me, do you have existing email profile that you want to save or retrieve? If yes, please locate your TBird profile, then copy the entire PROFILE folder to your desktop to serve as backup.

After doing that, please uninstall TBird. IMPORTANT: During the uninstall process, there is a prompt that ask you if you want to remove all data as well. Please select YES there. Tell me when done.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Is the profile in the appdata folder? I have a copy of that folder.

Yes, in the path that looks like this:

C:\Users\your-username\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\Profiles\

You need to have a copy of the entire Profile folder.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
ah, Roaming. OK, I have copied it. Should I rename it?
Use Add Remove Programs or is there a special uninstall?
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
reading here: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1162516

Now that you copied it, please close all other programs and then from control panel, uninstall TBird. If there is an option to DELETE all data, select that.

When the uninstall is done, restart the computer.

After restarting, visit the path again and then manually delete the leftover -- delete the entire Thunderbird folder in C:\Users\your-username\AppData\Roaming\

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Uninstalled thunderbird using add delete programs. There is no option to delete all data in the dialog. Delete Thunder bird folder in AppData/Roaming and in AppData/Local. Reboot, reinstall from "Thunderbird Setup 52.6.0.exe" and allow it to launch after the install.It tried! I saw the screens that were Thunderbird! Then seconds later it crashed with the crash report screen.

Ok. Please try opening Thunderbird is Safe Mode. Will it open in Safe Mode?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
It behaves the same way in Safe Mode. No difference.

Ok please do this scan.

In cortana search, type CMD

In the results, right click on Command Prompt, then click Run as Administrator

In command prompt, type:

sfc /scannow

There is space between c and /

Press enter to execute. Then tell me if errors were found.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
started...

Please take your time.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
It took a while and scannow did not complete the first time. But it did complete the second time! It reported that there were corrupted files and that they have been repaired. And now Thunderbird launches!We are good!
Thank you.
Is there anything else that I should do?

Thank you for writing back. Indeed the problem was some corruption on your system and it is a good thing that Windows was able to repair it.

Your TBird should now work and thank you for your patience.

Since you are using Windows 10, please keep your Windows updated by installing available updates to keep your system safe and secure.

I hope that helped.

Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) if this helped. Tips are always highly appreciated!

If you need further assistance, please do not rate me negatively with 1 or 2 faces. Instead, please reply to me so that I can help you further.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess

Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Definitely a positive experience. Thanks again.
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist