Email

Need help with email? Ask your email questions online

I have used Outlook for for over 20 years for all my email…

Customer Question
I have used...

I have used Outlook for for over 20 years for all my email correspondence. Most recently, I have experienced a problem that I have not been able to solve, nor has my internet provider. I'm hoping you can give me some ideas .... these past two+ weeks, I have been receiving at least 12-15+ per day of email notices of "Mail System Error-Returned Mail with Subject". The problem is that I did not send these emails, nor do I know who the recipients are! My internet provider suggested that I place all these emails in my Outlook Junk file, and eventually the pattern will correct itself so I would not continue to receive these 'fake' emails. I've done this technique for almost a week, and I still receive these 'fake' emails. Please help/advise. Thanks, ***** ***** Bozeman, Montana

Technician's Assistant: Are emails stuck in your outbox or are you receiving an error message?

I have n o emails stuck in my outbox. I have NO problems sending or receiving my personal emails. The "Mail System Error" returned emails freely come thru my Inbox. How do I stop these "fake" email return errors?

Technician's Assistant: The Email Technician will be able to walk you through that. Are there any antivirus or firewall settings that could block you from sending mail?

I do NOT have any problems sending emails. The antivirus program I use is Malwarebytes ... which seems to work very well ... except for these 'fake' email errors.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Email Expert to know before I connect you?

I hope this is enough info ... I am not the most expert with computers and programs ... I just use them till there's a problem, then I ask for help!

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Email
3/23/2018
Email technician: Eric Ewing, IT Pro replied 1 month ago
Eric Ewing
Eric Ewing, IT Pro
Experience: I am a technology professional with 20 years experience, and hold 15 industry certifications (from hardware/software repair to mobility to IT Security, and everything in-between!).

Hi! I'm Eric, an email expert who's been paired with you through JustAnswer.com. I'm reviewing your question now, and will return w/ an answer soon!

Hi Rick! It sounds very much like your email account has been hacked and is being used to send out spam email messages. Have you tried changing your email account password? That would be the very first step I'd recommend, as -- should my assumption be correct regarding the above -- it would prevent the hacker from continuing to be able to use your account.

If you're unsure how to change the password, please let me know who hosts your email (that is, the part of your email address following the "@" symbol) and I'll try and walk you through it!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I changed my password ***** week, and have received approx. 100+ "Mail System Error" emails since ...

Might you be able to forward one to me? 01100101 (at) outlook.com. With that in-hand, I can view the mail headers and see what that tells us about where the messages are being generated and how they're arriving back to you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
This is the message that I continue to receive. The recipient is ALWAYS different, however the 'Please Reply to' is always the same:
This Message was undeliverable due to the following reason:Each of the following recipients was rejected by a remote mail server.
The reasons given by the server are included to help you determine why each recipient was rejected.Recipient: <*****@******.***>
Reason: 5.1.1 The email account that you tried to reach does not exist. Please try 5.1.1 double-checking the recipient's email address for typos or 5.1.1 unnecessary spaces. Learn more at 5.1.1 https://support.google.com/mail/?p=NoSuchUser 67si7319402iog.204 - gsmtpPlease reply to <*****@******.***>
if you feel this message to be in error.
Email technician: Cory, Support Technician replied 1 month ago
Cory
Cory, Support Technician

Welcome, I am Cory. Thank you for using Justanswer.

It sounds like the email account has been hacked.

If you have already changed the password, then you should change it again. Make sure that it is not a password ***** you use on another site to access any account. Also, in changing the you can setup other security measures such as 2 step verification.

https://account.live.com/proofs/Manage/additional

If none of this works, then the email account you are using is being 'spoofed' as in it is being used in a program that uses that email address as a reply-to and that is why you are getting the emails. If this is the case, then you would have to create a new email address that is not being used in that way.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I have used this email address for 18 years. All my business and personal correcspondence is done thru this email address. I cannot change. There must be another way to stop these bad email responses from appearing in my inbox?
Email technician: Cory, Support Technician replied 27 days ago
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
All the activity I see is from my use of Outlook. What the log does NOT show is the almost 200 “Returned with Error” emails that I have received from somewhere/some one I do not know. How do I change my password *****?

It would only show login, not emails.

You can change the password ***** - https://account.live.com/password/Change?mkt=en-US&refd=account.microsoft.com&refp=security

Please make it something strong an example would be [email protected]@e. This contains uppercase, lowercase, numbers and characters.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

If we have completed this dialog, please use the stars at the top of the page to rate me.

Thank you,

Cory

Cory
Cory
Cory, Support Technician