Email

Need help with email? Ask your email questions online

I got a phone call from a supposed Microsoft person, saying…

I got a phone...

I got a phone call from a supposed Microsoft person, saying that my computer was compromised, and my financial accounts were compromised, and he wanted access to my computer. I cut him off, is this real or a scam? What department should I contact?

Technician's Assistant: Are you logged into your email account on any other devices?

No

Technician's Assistant: Do you have security questions or a phone number on file to help reset your password?

I am not sure if I have questions or not

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/23/2018
Richard, Email Systems Specialist

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

This person was not working for Microsoft and Microsoft would never call you for no reason.
This is what is known as "phone phishing" it is can be a very serious problem if you do let them access your computer.
Basically what they will do is call a lot of phone numbers and say that you have problems. Any actual computer problems you have will be entirely coincidental. Usually what they will do is show you the windows error log which always shows a lot of errors but these are normal and on all windows computers, they are not viruses.
Next they log onto your computer and lie to you about the numerous problems they pretend to find. Next they will attempt to get you to pay a few hundred dollars to "fix" the issues when in fact they actually do nothing too helpful.

Always remember, no legitimate tech support company would ever call you. Your computer does not report to Microsoft or any other company so if any tech support person calls you can trust it is a scam and just hang up.
Since you already paid them I would keep contacting your bank and see if you can have the charges reversed at you were mislead into believing it was microsoft who was calling. As I said no legitimate tech support company would ever call you, you would reach out to a tech professional if you needed help like you did just now with me.

Please do me a favor and take a moment to rate my service by clicking the stars above, 3 or more is very appreciated, we can still chat after rating if you need more help.

Thank you

Richard, Email Systems Specialist
Thank you so much, just checking, to make sure.