Email

Need help with email? Ask your email questions online

I got a new iPad but when I downloaded my data from iCloud…

Customer Question
Hi, I got a...

Hi, I got a new iPad but when I downloaded my data from iCloud my gmail account is empty! Never had this happen, done this with three other iPads and this wasn’t an issue. Other problem is I can’t remember my google password. I set it up so long ago I can’t remember the day and month (one of the recovery questions). Called Apple, they, of course said it wasn’t their problem.

Technician's Assistant: Are you logged into your Gmail account on any other devices?

Yes, my old iPad I still have my intact gmail account.

Technician's Assistant: Do you have security questions or a phone number on file to help reset your password?

I’ve tried everything. It gets to the point where google says my current gmail address doesn’t exist!!

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Email Expert to know before I connect you?

That’s all

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Email
3/23/2018
Email technician: Dustin, Email Specialist replied 3 months ago
Dustin, Email Specialist
Experience: Specializing in Thunderbird, Eudora, Outlook, Outlook for Mac, Mac Mail, Windows Live mail, Incredimail and a few others! Also Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is Dustin.
I'm sorry to hear about the issue you are having, I will do my best to help you resolve it.

It could be that your old ipad is accessing gmail by pop access, and has downloaded and then removed all the messages from the gmail server.

Can you try logging in using your safari browser on a pc, mac, or on the non working ipad. Do you see gmail messages online in the server using a browser?

I'll be waiting for your reply, thank you.

Dustin S.
Senior Technician and Former 31F1P ( Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer)

Why do you say my old iPad is accessing gmail by pop access, and has downloaded and then removed all the messages from the gmail server? I don’t even know what that means. My new iPad did not receive anything from my email account on mybold iPad. I’ve done this with 4 other iPads and never had thid problem.He biggest problem is that I can’t recivrt my google password, whic won’t let me try to set up manually my email in new iPad..
My email is working fine on my other devices, it just won’t transfer to my new iPad. If you don’t have my google password, which it will require, I’m not sure how you taking control of my computer would help. Can’t you just walk me thru the steps?
Are you still there?
Hello, are you still there?

Hi, I got a new iPad but when I downloaded my data from iCloud my gmail account is empty! Never had this happen, done this with three other iPads and this wasn’t an issue. Other problem is I can’t remember my google password. I set it up so long ago I can’t remember the day and month (one of therecovery questions). Called Apple, they, of course said it wasn’t their problem.

Technician's Assistant: Are you logged into your Gmail account on any other devices?

Technician's Assistant: Do you have security questions or a phone number on file to help reset your password?

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Email Expert to know before I connect you?

That’s all38
My email is working fine on my other devices, it just won’t transfer to my new iPad. If I don’t have my google password, which it will require, I’m not sure that will work

My last contact stopped responding to me. Can you read the thread and help with my issue?
Email technician: bbao, IT Consultant replied 3 months ago
bbao
bbao, IT Consultant

> when I downloaded my data from iCloud my gmail account is empty!

iCloud and GMail are two different services and from two different vendors, Apple and Google. They are not related at all. Please advise what happened in details. Thanks.

I know they’re different. When I was setting up my new iPad, gmail remained empty. I’ve done this with about 4 iPads in past several years and never had this problem. Everything always populated my new iPad from my iCloud account. So I tried accessing gmail on my new iPad but since I can’t remember my password ***** the key question for resetting my password ***** ***** day and month I set up my gmail account, I have no idea. So I’m stuck with a new iPad that can’t access my gmail account.
I’m not sure I want you to remote access. Can’t you walk me through it? Do you have an idea what’s wrong? The last tech on this site that I said I wasn’t ready for remote access never responded back.
I’m happy to pay for tech support, I’m just not ready to have someone remote access my computer unless you have a good idea what’s wrong. To me it seems I just need to find a way to recover my google password ***** how to open a new account and move all my emails and contacts to the new account. Can you help with that?

I didn't ask you for remote session. It was by the site.

I am in a remote session with another customer at the moment. Will be with you shortly.

Okay, thanks.

Please go to below site to download a genuine Windows 7

https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows7

Do you have a Windows 7 product key?

Sorry. Wrong post. Please ignore.

> resetting my password ***** ***** day and month I set up my gmail account,

Okay, actually your question is for resetting a Gmail password. Nothing to do with iCloud. Correct?

Well I don’t know. iCloud had stored even my email data when I switched iPads before. I didn’t have to do anything with google to access my email on my new iPad. That didn’t happen this time like it has the last 3 times so I was assuming it had something to do with download from icloud

Do you have a Mac and signed in iCould using the same Apple ID?

On the Mac, try using Safari to log on Gmail with that given Gmail address, see if iCould could remember the password ***** you.

Where do you look for google passwords on a Mac any different than an iPad? If I can get gmail to download in my iPad I won’t need a password. The steps through google to recover a password ***** the same on any computer. I’m just wondering why it didn’t download on iPad, if I can’t figure that out I’ll have to set up a new gmail or other email and transfer my contacts and emails.
I don’t know how to go about that without losing all my contacts and emails.

I can help you troubleshot this remotely. Can I send you the offer?

I keep getting this message to remote access my computer

> I’m just wondering why it didn’t download on iPad

Are you referring the password ***** your Gmail account?

> if I can’t figure that out I’ll have to set up a new gmail

No necessary, if you can find out the saved password ***** KeyChain (on your Mac) synced via iCloud.

I’m talking about my entire email account! I click on the gmail icon and there’s nothing there! I cannot recover my google password. I have tried EVERYTHING.

Okay, the best way to troubleshoot your issue via a remote session. Otherwise, we can't determine what happened there.

I’m just asking what you’d be looking for and why can’t you just walk me through it?
I think at this point I need to figure out how to set up a new email address without losing my contacts and emails from Gmail.

Basically, the information from your description can let me understand what happened on your side or the main issue asking for help.

I’m sorry, what do you mean?
Do you know how to set up a new email account and not lose info from a Gmail account?

> how to set up a new email address without losing my contacts and emails from Gmail.

See, it is confused. If it is a new email address, that means it has noting to do with any other account, how could it let you lose contacts and emails of other account?

You can set a new account anytime from HERE.

It will have no impact to any existing account of you.

> I’m sorry, what do you mean?

Sorry for my typo. I correct it below.

Basically, the information from your description CANNOT let me understand what happened on your side or the main issue asking for help.

What are you talking about? I cannot acces my Gmail account from my new iPad. The only option I see is justmto setup a,new email account and transfer my data to it. Do you know,how to do that? I know how to set up a new email account. What I don’t know how to do is transfer my Gmail contacts and all,my old emails to it. Do you know how to do that?
Whyn didn’t you just tell me you don’t know how to set up a new email and transfer contacts and ematomthe new account? Would have saved us both a lot of time.
Email technician: Josh, Computer Enthusiast replied 2 months ago
Josh, Computer Enthusiast

Hello:

I'm so very sorry it took so long for someone to offer assistance to you. My name is ***** ***** I've just come online and saw your question waiting. Before we start, can you please confirm if you still need assistance with your question? Thank you!

I've tried to explain my problem to 3 different techs, no one seems to get it. If you could succinctly repeat my issue, I'll know if I'm actually able to communicate what's going on. I don't have the energy to go through 10 more exchanges for the 3rd time.

You mentioned not remembering your Google password ***** is why you can't receive emails

I've reset in several times in the last week, but when I try to use it Google says it doesn't recognize the Gmail address.

It sounds like you are not able to reset it and it is not being able to verify you.

Exactly! I can still use the account on my Mac mini and old iPad, just can't get it to open on my new iPad.

Unfortunately, there isn't a way around the Google recovery options. If you are unable to use those options, then you will need to open a new account.

I know that. My original question included finding out if I could then transfer emails and contacts from my old Gmail to the new one.

No, because even though you have access to the account, it will very likely ask for your password ***** transfer any data which is where you are stuck.

That means I will never be able to get a new iPad unless I'm willing to give up YEARS important emails and laboriously enter ALL my contacts. f**k Google.

While I can understand you being upset, I am not in control of their policies.

I know, sorry. But other email types have ways to do it. I just don't want a new email address. A corporation as big as google and they can't offer any customer support. Greed.

Since they are a free provider, they do not offer live support otherwise they would need to make their users pay for their service.

Nope, they wouldn't. Craigslist offers customer support. Apple does, etc. They just don't want to part with their money.

Unfortunately, I understand but there is nothing that we can do about it.