Email

Need help with email? Ask your email questions online

Outlook 2016 There was an error when printing started... I…

Outlook 2016 There was...

Outlook 2016 There was an error when printing started... I have already done a reinstall of Office 365 anf other programs can print. It is a directly wired HP Photosmart V4500.

Technician's Assistant: How do you usually access Outlook? On a phone or tablet, or through a web browser?

I use the Microsoft Offive program Outlook.exe

Technician's Assistant: What troubleshooting have you tried?

The microsoft one which said to repair Outlook, which I did.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Email Expert to know before I connect you?

I used to be in the industry before retirement Digital, Compaq and HP programmer.

3/22/2018
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist

Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.
I am very sorry about your issues. Few things first:

1. Are you using Windows Vista, 7, 8 or 10?
  2. What exactly is the problem? Is it when printing from Outlook 2016? Is Outlook crashing when printing?

Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further.
Best regards,
Jess

I think it's Windows 10 (how to tell?)
Outlook and ONLY Outlook is giving thid message, it is not crashing or hanging. The print button is greyed out. Works ok on the Fax 'printer'.
Windows 10 Pro10.0.16299

Thank you for writing back with that information. So you are saying that you cannot print in Outlook because the Print command is unavailable?

I select File then Print and moments later the Print button displayed gets grayed out and that error message is shown. Sorry for the occasional typos half the keys are rubbed out with wear.

Can you please tell me the exact error message that you are getting?

Also, is your printer set as the DEFAULT printer?

It is the default printer.
The message is
There was an error when printing started. To check the printer setup, double-click the Printers icon in Windows Control Panel.
I did that and it is there and ready. Its web service version is also there and ready and NOT DEFAULT but produces the same error message.

Thank you for that information.

Please do the following:

1. Close your MS Outlook
  2. Close your other MS Office programs
  3. Go to Printers and Scanners. (In Cortana search, type "printer" then click Printers & Scanners in the results)
  4. Uncheck the bottom option that says "Let Windows manage my default printer"
  5. Then select your HP printer as the Default
  6. Close all windows and then try printing from Outlook

I hope that helped.

Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) if this helped. Tips are always highly appreciated!

If you need further assistance, please do not rate me negatively with 1 or 2 faces. Instead, please reply to me so that I can help you further.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess

That option is already unchecked!
Getting a glass of wine (I am in France) back in a jiffy...
Back with a glass of Domaine de l'octroi Merlot.

Hi, please try these steps:

1. Close Outlook
  2. In Cortana search, type there %AppData% and press Enter
  3. You shall be redirected to the ROAMING folder. If not, go back and open the ROAMING folder.
  4. Then go to this path further: C:\Users\your-user-name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Outlook\
  5. When you are in the Outlook folder, please locate the file called "outlprnt"
  6. If you find it there, please delete it.
  7. Open Outlook and test printing.
You might have a word with the guys who do your website. The payment and details form is to USA-centric. It does not allow foreign telephone numbers. Also the popup with the new url is not clickable. Just a thought.

Oh, sorry about that. Honestly, I have not tried viewing the site as a customer so I have not seen what you just observed. So I will share your feedback to our site engineers.

Well, that file is not there, we have outlook.srd and outlook.xml.
sorry outlook.srs

Ok. Please do these:

1. Close that Explorer window
  2. In Cortana type "cmd"
  3. In the results you will see Command Prompt. Right click on it, then click Run as Administrator
  4. When command prompt opens, type this command below then press Enter to execute:
    sfc /scannow
  5. NOTE: There is a space between c and /

Please give it some time to finish then let me know if errors were found.

Running...
There is a system repair pending which requires reboot to complete. Restart
Windows and run sfc again. Which I will fo. Bye for a few minutes...

Ok. Please take your time. I believe there is a pending update, allow it to install and then run the scan again.

Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Restarted. starting sfc...
Started OK.
Wow, it's slow! 14% now
Can we park this for now?It's 01h30 local here and I am tired.I can be back at 08h00 local, that's in six and a half hours. I suspect that you may have to pass it on to someone else.

Ok, we can resume with this tomorrow when you are back and available. My time here is 8:40AM March 23. Just message me here when you are ready to resume.

No sfc problems:
C:\WINDOWS\system32>sfc /scannow
Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.
Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.
Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.
C:\WINDOWS\system32>I shall be out for a couple of hours, Jess.
Back now.
Hello, where are you, Jess? n bed I guess.

Sorry for the late reply. I am just starting my day. After the scan procedures, please check your Outlook if the problem continues. If it does, the next thing that I suggest is UNINSTALL your HP printer from Control Panel.

After that, restart the computer.

After restarting, download the latest version of the HP printer software and then install it. Please make sure that you DO NOT PLUG in the printer to the computer DURING installation UNTIL the installation wizard prompts you to plug in the printer then turn it ON for detection.

After reinstalling the printer, please set it as Default printer. Test printing from other programs then test printing from Outlook.