Email

Need help with email? Ask your email questions online

I called a number that appeared on my computer screen saying…

Customer Question
I called a number...

I called a number that appeared on my computer screen saying there were issues with my Microsoft Windows on my computer. After a very lengthy conversation, they said if I paid $299 I could install and upgrade my Microsoft warranty and get a firewall to block guests and public. They had access to my computer and said my computer would not work unless I have them my credit card number over the phone. I hung up. Was this legit? Thank-you.

Technician's Assistant: Are you logged into your email account on any other devices?

Yes. I have an I-pad.

Technician's Assistant: Do you have security questions or a phone number on file to help reset your password?

I hope so. Hah. May have to look where I wrote it down. Should I do this?

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Email Expert to know before I connect you?

Do you think this person was legit?

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Email
3/22/2018
Email technician: Jason Jones, Computer Technician replied 3 months ago
Jason Jones, Computer Technician

My name is***** will be the person helping you today.

Is your computer still functional or did they lock it?

That is a very common scam that the scammer criminals use. These people will call you, masquerading as Microsoft Techs, HP techs, or some other type of techs. They will then do their best to make you believe that you require their help in the way of remote support, customer support, software support, or something of the like. In the end, if you fall for it, you will be out hundreds of dollars.

If you gave the scammer any banking information, please contact your bank as soon as possible and report the scam so that they can block the payment to them. Also, you may wish to consider contacting your local authorities and reporting this crime, if any payment was made.

Thank you for allowing me to help you today. My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen then submit before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Thank you,
***** *****