Email

Need help with email? Ask your email questions online

I have a Ricoh printer make/ model SP 3600DN, serial no.

Customer Question
I have a Ricoh...

I have a Ricoh printer make/ model SP 3600DN, serial no. DC2066 T635H801448. I had just printed off several email attachments, with no problems at all, then I went to print off the original email and got a sheet with a bunch of computer jargon and two messages: ERROR: limit check, OFFENDING COMMAND: xshow.

Technician's Assistant: How's your internet connection? Are you checking your email from a browser or a mail client (e.g. Outlook)?

My email connection is through Sasktel.net using Safari.

Technician's Assistant: Are there any antivirus or firewall settings that could block you from receiving mail?

Not that I am particularly aware of. I have been able to print off numerous other emails throughout the day.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Email Expert to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Email
3/21/2018
Email technician: Russell H., Computer Support Specialist replied 4 months ago
Russell H., Computer Support Specialist

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your printing question.

I advise you to clear the printer's queue on your computer, first - on Windows PCs, this is done through

Control Panel

Devices and Printers (or, View Devices and Printers)

click once on the printer in question

click on See What's Printing

then select any print jobs in the small window that appears, and select 'Clear All Print Jobs' from that small window's menus.

Then turn Off the printer, to clear its buffer and status registers.

Then restart the computer, and log in to the computer again.

Only after that - and after another 10 minutes - should you turn On the printer again.

Then the printer should print OK once more. It's possible that the attachments were fine mostly, but that the last one did not send quite the right codes to the printer, or a glitch occurred, and the printer was sent a wrong code, and thus you got bad pages and errors.

Also... the email printing may have been done in the wrong manner, you see. At any rate, after following this procedure, I hope the problem will prove temporary! (To double-check, tell me step by step, how you printed the email itself, from what program or window...)

OK. How can we correct this problem?
I advise you to clear the printer's queue on your computer, first - on Windows PCs, this is done throughControl PanelDevices and Printers (or, View Devices and Printers)click once on the printer in questionclick on See What's Printingthen select any print jobs in the small window that appears, and select 'Clear All Print Jobs' from that small window's menus.Then turn Off the printer, to clear its buffer and status registers.Then restart the computer, and log in to the computer again.Only after that - and after another 10 minutes - should you turn On the printer again.Then the printer should print OK once more. It's possible that the attachments were fine mostly, but that the last one did not send quite the right codes to the printer, or a glitch occurred, and the printer was sent a wrong code, and thus you got bad pages and errors.Also... the email printing may have been done in the wrong manner, you see. At any rate, after following this procedure, I hope the problem will prove temporary! (To double-check, tell me step by step, how you printed the email itself, from what program or window...)
Still isn't working. I cleared everything from the print queue (actually, there was nothing there), turned off the computer (I have a MacBook Pro, Mac OS High Sierra, Version 10.13.2) and the printer. After ten minutes I booted up the computer again, and ten minutes later the printer. I opened Safari, Webmail 6.0 Home, and Webmail.sasktel.net, printed off an email of my own (it worked fine) and then scrolled down to find the email that I wanted to print and tried to print it off again. I got the same two messages and the same scramble of computer gobbledegook.

OK, I see... so the printer works fine, and your email printing procedure is OK for some or most emails, but not for this one for some reason. It's a 'problem email', perhaps.

What does the email contain - aside from the attached files ? are there any images included, fancy text, Oriental language text, exotic fonts, that sort of thing? If 'yes', that might explain the problem.

The email message is pretty basic though it does have a couple of features that are perhaps unusual. It has a colour graphic, an ISC logo at the bottom, and the writer's name is ***** ***** print and in colour. That's it for things out of the ordinary.There IS perhaps one other thing: the printer's dialogue box consistently says, "the printer is not connected", yes, even when it prints off other items (like the attachment that went with this particular email.)Surprisingly, my other printer (a Samsung) says the same thing, even when it is printing.By the way, both printers are directly connected by a USB connector (I think that's what it is called)--separate ones for each printer-- rather than by a wireless router. As far as I can tell, both connections are okay.Could that be a clue as to what is wrong?

The message about not being connected, even when it obviously is, might well indicate a dual configuration on your computer, of WiFi printing to the printer, and of USB printing to the printer. Does your printer / do your printers, have more than one icon (that is not a fax icon) or more than one choice per model, in the 'select printer' field? if so, that would indicate that my guess is right.

In my 'select printer' field, there are three options:
the RICOH SP 3600DN
Samsung C460 Series
Samsung C460 SeriesWhen printing with my RICOH printer, I indicate that specific printer; when using my Samsung, I use the second of the two. (I had an identical make and model of the Samsung printer previously that proved defective, and so the company replaced it. But then I had to go and download a new operating system for it.)

OK. If the second of the three (the first Samsung C460 series entry) is not used and not usable, you should select it, then Remove it, in System Preferences - Printers, using the - button. (I am assuming that you have an Apple computer.)

I deleted the extraneous Samsung printer and tried using the two printers to print something, and once again, neither one worked. They still said "the printer is not connected."
Email technician: Russell H., Computer Support Specialist replied 3 months ago

Are you sure you did not delete the wrong Samsung printer configuration/install/choice ?

The one to delete would be the WiFi one, I would think. That one would be not-connected.

You might need to reinstall the Samsung printer, *after* removing the install that does not work! please try that, I suggest