Email

Need help with email? Ask your email questions online

One of my Yahoo accounts was recently hacked and taken over.

Hello, one of my...

Hello, one of my Yahoo accounts was recently hacked and taken over. loveofgodministries.

Technician's Assistant: How do you usually access Yahoo? On a phone or tablet, or through a web browser?

Laptop chrome web browser

Technician's Assistant: What troubleshooting have you tried?

They have taken over my account by giving a different cell phone number and even changing the e-mail address. What would you suggest?

Technician's Assistant: The Email Technician will be able to walk you through that. Anything else you want the Email Expert to know before I connect you?

Yes, I would like to know if I will ever see this account once again?

3/20/2018
Chris L., Support Specialist

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you. I am sorry to hear what has happened and I will give you an honest answer and not "sugarcoat" the situation.

If you have already tried all of the steps at the password ***** page here then unfortunately you are not going to be able to recover this account unless you can use the back up options that are showing to you.

If the password ***** changed or the account was hacked then you are not going to be able to get back in without verifying it is yours. It is extremely important that you keep your recovery options up to date since that is your only way back in if you don't have the password.

Yahoo being a free email service does not offer any support aside from what you have seen online. A few years back they did have more options for people in your situation but now they simply suggest you create a new account.

Yahoo states the following "When you register for an account, it's up to you to provide the most up-to-date and valid recovery info. Your best option to avoid losing access is to update your recovery info if you get a new phone number or change your alternate email address. "

In the interest of saving yourself some time I would suggest you don't spend more time looking for a solution in this situation as you have no options aside from being able to reset the password ***** the online recovery tool. I just don't want to give you hope because in the last year yahoo has completely cut off any type of support and leaves account recovery entirely up to the user meaning if you don't keep your recovery info up to date and forget or lose the password ***** cannot get back into the account.

Again, sorry to have to deliver the bad news but hopefully it saves you some time in the long run and prevents anything like this from ever happening again. It would be greatly appreciated if you could rate my reply to you by clicking 3 stars are more. I of course understand this is not good news but you are just rating me personally and not yahoo, their policies, or the situation itself.

Thank you

Chris L., Support Specialist