Email

Need help with email? Ask your email questions online

I am having trouble with my email account and my recovery…

Customer Question
I am having trouble...

I am having trouble with my email account and my recovery telephone and alternate email has changed

Technician's Assistant: Who is your email provider (Gmail, Yahoo, Outlook, etc.)?

Yahoo and I also have icloud

Technician's Assistant: How do you usually access Yahoo? On a phone or tablet, or through a web browser?

Ipad

Technician's Assistant: What troubleshooting have you tried?

Tried using help center but I cannot get the icon to respond to change information so I can change password.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Email Expert to know before I connect you?

I have all my important information sent to this account. It would be a big inconvenience to have to write or call and have my email address changed

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Email
3/19/2018
Email technician: Richard, Email Systems Specialist replied 3 months ago
Richard, Email Systems Specialist

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

when could you last sign into your account?

Please let me know

Before I got the new ipad
I don’t think I want to pay any more when I haven’t even got $5 worth of help. Just help me change recovery information.

Of course, I will opt out for another expert that can help you further

Email technician: Chris L., Support Specialist replied 3 months ago
Chris L., Support Specialist

If you have already tried all of the steps at the password ***** page here then unfortunately you are not going to be able to recover this account unless you can remember the password ***** use the back up options that are showing to you. You recovery phone and back up email address cannot be changed without being able to log into your account and knowing the password.

If the password ***** changed or the account was hacked then you are not going to be able to get back in without verifying it is yours. It is extremely important that you keep your recovery options up to date since that is your only way back in if you don't have the password.

Yahoo being a free email service does not offer any support aside from what you have seen online. A few years back they did have more options for people in your situation but now they simply suggest you create a new account.

Yahoo states the following "When you register for an account, it's up to you to provide the most up-to-date and valid recovery info. Your best option to avoid losing access is to update your recovery info if you get a new phone number or change your alternate email address. "

So unfortunately there are no options left since it sounds like you never updated your recovery information. In the interest of saving yourself some time I would suggest you don't spend more time looking for a solution in this situation as you have no options aside from being able to reset the password ***** the online recovery tool. I just don't want to give you hope because in the last year yahoo has completely cut off any type of support and leaves account recovery entirely up to the user meaning if you don't keep your recovery info up to date and forget or lose the password ***** cannot get back into the account.

Again, sorry to have to deliver the bad news but hopefully it saves you some time in the long run and prevents anything like this from ever happening again. It would be greatly appreciated if you could rate my reply to you by clicking 3 stars are more. I of course understand this is not good news but you are just rating me personally and not yahoo, their policies, or the situation itself.

In your case it seems your only option is to remember the password ***** you can log into the old account and change the phone number on file. Don't give up, try and make a list of any passwords you have used in the past and everyday try a couple of new passwords.

Thank you