Email

Need help with email? Ask your email questions online

Received an email saying that i ordered something called…

Received an email saying...

Received an email saying that i ordered something called bigo live.

Technician's Assistant: Who is your email provider (Gmail, Yahoo, Outlook, etc.)?

I did not order this and want to cancel this.

Technician's Assistant: How do you usually access your email? On a phone or tablet, or through a web browser?

Outlook, through computer or tablet

Technician's Assistant: What troubleshooting have you tried?

I went to the part it says cancel payment but i am not sure it is a safe site and did not want to give my details.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Email Expert to know before I connect you?

How would they have got my details in the first place

i just sent a file to you did you get it
3/18/2018
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist

Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.
I am very sorry about your issues. Few things first:

1. Are you using a Windows computer or a Mac?
  2. When you tried to click on the link in the email, were you redirected to a website that asks for your account details?

Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further.
Best regards,
Jess

windows 10, yes they wanted personal information which i do not want to give out

Thank you. Please give me a moment to type my answer/recommendations.

Thank you for patiently waiting. I believe what you got was a scam and a phishing attack. If you did not do such online purchase, then I believe this email should be marked as SPAM or JUNK so that future emails from the sender of this email will be junked.

This is a very common phishing techniques used by spammers and scammers. The idea is to SCARE you of as pending purchase (which is actually not real) and you are given a link to cancel it. However, the link will redirect the user to a phishing website. That site will only COLLECT your data and the information you provide are not actually sent to a legitimate online store or vendor but to the spammer or hacker. If the website is asking for username and password, the entry you provide are actually being COLLECTED. It can look like you are registering or signing up or logging in, but they are actually CAPTURING the data you enter and then they will take over or login to your accounts.

So please do not be a victim of this phishing attacker. Do not provide your details on the page linked to their email. I highly suggest that you mark the email as Spam or Junk first before you DELETE it. I am 1000% sure that there was no actual purchase that was happening on your behalf and that the email was just to scare you so that you will click on the link in the email.

I hope that helped.

Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) if this helped. Tips are always highly appreciated!

If you need further assistance, please do not rate me negatively with 1 or 2 faces. Instead, please reply to me so that I can help you further.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess

Jess M., Computer Support Specialist