Email

Need help with email? Ask your email questions online

Yesterday I received a telephone call (from Microsoft?)

Yesterday I received a...

Yesterday I received a telephone call (from Microsoft?) saying I had to renew my Microsoft license: today i received an email, subject in questi90n

Technician's Assistant: Who is your email provider (Gmail, Yahoo, Outlook, etc.)?

AT&T - Outlook MS Office

Technician's Assistant: How do you usually access Outlook? On a phone or tablet, or through a web browser?

Web browser

Technician's Assistant: What troubleshooting have you tried?

This is my first attempt to verify

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Email Expert to know before I connect you?

Just that I do have a message from Microsoft and not a scam.

3/18/2018
Shefin, Internet and Email Specialist

Hello!

Thank you for your question. I am Shefin and I look forward to helping you with your issue today.

An increasing number of computer users are receiving similar phone calls and some — afraid of potential data loss and device damage — are surrendering their bank account information in the hope this will protect their tech.

If you get such a call, we’re here to tell you — hang up. It is a SCAM!!!

As for expired Windows, this really doesn’t happen anymore unless you never activated your Windows software in the first place. If you want to double-check whether your version of Windows is activated, go to your Start button and, if you’re using Windows 10, select “Settings,” then “Update & security” and then “Activation.” This will tell you whether your software is activated.

Microsoft does not do that nor do they have partners who do that nor do they hire sub-contractors or people or even get volunteers to do that. Do not trust unsolicited calls. Do not provide any personal information.

Cybercriminals pretending to work for Microsoft, Geek Squad, or any other nationally-recognized tech company call their intended victims, claim they’ve scanned their computers remotely and found viruses on them. Relying on computer users’ fear of viruses, data loss and identity theft, they trick people into giving them actual access to the computer.

Once the scammer has access to the victim’s system, they will often show the user scary looking error messages on the machine, require immediate payment to cleanup the “dangerously infected” computer and install more “protection” software onto the system. Chances are they’ll take the opportunity to install other bits of malware to capture the victim’s online shopping or banking information.

Check the link below for more information.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/safety/online-privacy/avoid-phone-scams.aspx

If you have any questions, please be back and let me know.

If you appreciate my service, please rate it EXCELLENT by clicking the EXCELLENT (5 Stars) and Submit.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business!

Thank you!

Shefin, Internet and Email Specialist