Email

Need help with email? Ask your email questions online

Like so many others, I upgraded my computer from Win7 to…

Customer Question
Like so many others...

Like so many others, I upgraded my computer from Win7 to Win10 (didn't want to, but had to for class). Now I cannot send email from my Gmail account in Windows Live Mail (which I love) or Outlook (haven't tried Windows Mail that comes with Win10). I've changed outgoing Ports. Open to something that might work.

Technician's Assistant: Are emails stuck in your outbox or are you receiving an error message?

Stuck in Outbox and an error message. I'll go get it.

Technician's Assistant: Are there any antivirus or firewall settings that could block you from sending mail?

Everything is as Win10 set it. I don't use Macafee or those guys, just Windows stuff.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Email Expert to know before I connect you?

An unknown error has occurred.Subject 'test 4'
Server: 'smtp.gmail.com'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0B
Protocol: SMTP
Port: 465
Secure(SSL): Yes Talking with two computer people - why do I think this is going to cost a bunch of money?

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Email
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/18/2018
Email technician: GeekGal, Email Support Specialist replied 1 month ago
GeekGal
GeekGal, Email Support Specialist

Hi there! My name is*****'m sorry that you're having this trouble. It would be my pleasure to assist you. Please give me just a moment to review your question.

Please note: You may see offers for ADDITIONAL SERVICES that are automatically generated by the website. They are completely optional. Please feel free to ignore them.

There are several possible solutions to the problem. The easiest would probably be to go to the Microsft APP store and download the Gmail APP for Windows 10. If you'd prefer not to do that, you can try one of the following methods:

METHOD ONE

If you can receive emails but can't send them, it is may be related to recent changes in Google security settings.

Google may block sign-in attempts from some apps or devices that do not use modern security standards. Since these apps and devices are easier to break into, blocking them helps keep your account safe.

Some examples of apps that do not support the latest security standards include:

• The Mail app on your iPhone or iPad with version 6 or below
  • The Mail app on your Windows phone preceding the 8.1 release
  • Some Desktop mail clients like Microsoft Outlook and Mozilla Thunderbird

You can either upgrade to a more secure app that uses the most up to date security measures, like the Gmail app., or change your settings to enable access for less secure apps.

• To Change Your Settings:
  1. Go to the "Less secure apps" section in My Account.
  2. Next to "Access for less secure apps," select Turn on.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I found an answer online for free. Since I am using all Windows software, including Defender, it wasn't the antivirus or the firewall. All I had to do was check the box that sad: My server requires authentication. So simple, yet hard-to-find.thanks for helping.

METHOD TWO

If you have two-step verification enabled for your Google account, you can generate an Application Specific Password ***** clicking on the link below:

https://security.google.com/settings/security/apppasswords.

1. You will be asked to sign in to your Gmail account.
  2. At the bottom, click Select app and choose the app you’re using.
  3. Click Select device and choose the device you’re using.
  4. Select Generate.
  5. Follow the instructions to enter the App password (the 16 character code in the yellow bar) on your device.
  6. Select Done.

You're welcome. Would you mind taking a moment to rate my service? I'd really appreciate it! You can give your rating by selecting the stars located on the top right of the question page and then clicking on submit. Hopefully, I have earned 5 Stars but if not please let me know what I can do to ensure you are satisfied. Thank you! Have a great day!

.

GeekGal
GeekGal
GeekGal, Email Support Specialist