Email

Need help with email? Ask your email questions online

I need to recover my gmail account! It is set us as a

Hi Andy! I need...

Hi Andy! I need to recover my gmail account! It is set us as a recovery account now. I am in urgent need of the old one.

Technician's Assistant: How do you usually access Gmail? On a phone or tablet, or through a web browser?

Both phone and laptop. I am on laptop now.

Technician's Assistant: What troubleshooting have you tried?

I went to settings and must have misunderstood directions. I set up a new account and do not want it! I want my old account!

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Email Expert to know before I connect you?

I was trying to block pop ups under settings when this happened. I keep getting a pop-up every couple of minutes.

3/17/2018
Jamie Macko
Jamie Macko, Email Specialist

Thank you for your question today. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist.

Since you know the email address associated with your old Gmail account can use google's recovery site:

https://accounts.google.com/signin/v2/recoveryidentifier?service=mail&flowName=GlifWebSignIn&flowEntry=ServiceLogin

Enter the info for the old account. If you forgot the password ***** "Forgot password" and it should present you with instructions on how to proceed. I also put some info about resetting gmail password ***** if you need it. I can also provide remote assistance if you would like. There is an extra charge for this, so let me know if it is something you are interested in and I will send an offer

To reset your forgotten Gmail password ***** recover access to your account:

1. Make sure you either:
    • have a secondary email address specified for your Gmail account or
    • have not logged into your Gmail account for 5 days.
  2. Click Forgot password? on Gmail's log-in page.
  3. If prompted, type your full Gmail email address over Enter your email on the Account support page.
  4. Click Next.

Gmail will now ask a number of questions to try to establish you as the owner of the account. For each question:

1. Enter your answer as well as you can and click Next or
  2. Click Try a different question if you cannot answer or do not have access to the resource – a secondary email address, say, or a phone number.

The questions Gmail asks may include the following, not necessarily in this order:

• A previous password:
    • If you have changed your Gmail password ***** only remember the (or any) older one, you can enter it.
    • Verification using a code (with 2-step authentication enabled for the Gmail account):
      • Depending on the verification methods set up for 2-step authentication, you can get a code from:
        1. An SMS text message received from Google;
        2. An app (e.g. Google Authenticator); or
        3. Printed back-up codes.
      • Enter the phone number used for verification if prompted.
    • A phone number set up for account recovery in Gmail:
      • You will receive an SMS text message from Google that contains a verification code.​
    • A secondary email address for Gmail account recovery:
      • Follow the link in a message from Google sent to the email address to reset the password ***** the Google Account.
      • You may also be able to enter any current email address to receive a verification code.
    • A security question for Gmail password *****:
      • Type the answer to your recovery question following the question under Answer the security question you added to your account.
    • When you set up the account:
      • Enter the month and year when you created the Gmail (or Google) account.
    • If you have used your Gmail account in the past five days but have not specified a secondary email address, you will have to wait for these five days to pass.

Once you have established yourself as your account's owner using any of the – and usually multiple – steps above, Gmail will log you in to the account. If, for security reasons, you do want to change your password, follow the Changepassword link.

Jamie Macko
Jamie Macko, Email Specialist
Andy, my new account came up, not the old account! Help!

Here is the link to start remote assistance:
Please download/run this software to get started

http://www.justanswer.com/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=b856f4d8-b2fa-490b-8a12-575fb50ea4e6

-Jamie

Removed new account, and set old gmail account as active and primary. Also turned off popup notifications on PC, and test internet speed.

-Jamie

Thank you. Email is back! Not sure about pop-ups yet, but I think it is resolved. I need to wait a bit to see.
Kathy Lucia