Email

Need help with email? Ask your email questions online

I am trying to move over to gmail with Google from the email…

Hi, I am trying...

Hi, I am trying to move over to gmail with Google from the email that comes with my computer (the icon of a bird in flight). In that system I could create folders and sub-folders to organize my email. In the gmail system I can't figure out how to do that. Can you help? Thanks

Technician's Assistant: How do you usually access Gmail? On a phone or tablet, or through a web browser?

Under the email system that comes with the iMac - the icon with the bird in flight - I had no trouble creating folders and sub-folders to organize email. I am trying to make the move to gmail through Google, and can't figure out how to create folders. Can you help? Thanks. Caroline

Technician's Assistant: What troubleshooting have you tried?

Sorry to write it twice, I didn't know the first one had gone through. I haven't tried troubleshooting: one, I don't know how; and two, I didn't think this was "trouble" in the sense that something isn't working properly. I simply don't know how to create folders

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Email Expert to know before I connect you?

Not for now, thank you

3/16/2018
Jason Jones, Computer Technician

My name is***** will be the person helping you today.

Which program do you use to access your email (Outlook, Mac Mail, Entourage, Internet Explorer, Firefox, etc)?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Google

Thank you for responding.

In Gmail, they are not termed 'Folders', but are instead termed "Labels". In Google, in the left column, click the More option, if you see that. On the bottom of the new list, click the "New Label" link. That will allow you to create "Folder" Labels. Then you can select the emails that you wish to move to the new Label (Folder) and be all set.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible. I hope that I have earned a 5 star rating. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know. Rating does not stop you from getting back to me in the event you need me. It has been a pleasure assisting you today.

Thank you,
***** *****

Jason Jones, Computer Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Another question . . . (and I gave you a 5 star for your first help . . . I've been creating labels all afternoon!) The question is this: is it possible to move already existing "folders" from the iMac system (the icon with the bird in flight) to the Google gmail system?

From what I understand about your situation is that you probably were using the POP3 protocol on your IMAC. You can transfer emails to the Google Gmail system. First, you would have to add the Gmail account to your mail application using the IMAP protocol. Once the account is setup, you can then transfer the folders and emails to the Gmail account. if you wish, I can remotely connect to your system and do this for you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
honestly, Jason, all that sounds a little complicated, and I would love for you to accomplish what I am trying to do which is move the files from the iMac (bird in flight icon) to google's gmails, moving categories to labels. Could you tell me what that would cost me? Thank you. Caroline
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
please don't lose me. I don't know if there is a time frame on these questions.
I want YOU to do the work of transferring my former "folders" to my current "labels"
and need a time estimate and a dollar estimate. Thank you so much! Caroline

Thank you for your patience. I was in charge of running a booth at an event yesterday and could not get out of it.

If you wish, I can remotely connect to your computer and to this for you. Would you be interested in that?

Thank you. Let's begin the remote help session now.

You must run the application below on a computer. It will not work on any phone or tablet.

Follow the instructions below to begin the remote helping screen.

Remote page: http://remote.jasonfixedit.com

After clicking the link above, enter the following two digit number: 40
- And then click the circle button to start the remote application.
After the file finishes downloading, please open the file and run it.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
what do you mean by "running the file?"

What I mean is that you have to open the file and allow it to run.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I clicked on Finder then Downloads, then opened the app. Is that right?

Yes, that is correct.

You are using a Mac computer, so you need to do one more thing to run the remote application.

Please, do the following:
- Click the Apple icon on the top left of your screen.
- Click System Preferences
- Click the "Security & Privacy" icon.
- Click the "General" tab
- Click the "Open Anyways" button and run the program.

Once that is done, the remote application will open.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am in system preferences/Security & Privacy/General
but I don't see an "open anyway" button, there is a request for a password, "show a message when screen is locked", and "allow apps downloaded from app store and identified developers. Then a lock at the bottom
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I could take a picture of the screen I am looking at
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
O, and the lock says "click here to make changes"

Okay. Click there to make changes. After you do that, click the "Open Anyways" button.

If you don't see the button, then go back to the downloads window and while holding the shift button on the keyboard, right click the Elsinore... file and choose Open.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it wants a password

Please, enter your Mac log in password.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I entered my password ***** am holding the shift button down and right clicking elsinore

Okay.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
do I need to do anything else

Did you click "open"?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm turning this over to my husband who is trying to help me understand what I'm supposed to do. His name is Jim

Okay, thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi jason what do I need to do

I am connected.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
are you still here?

yes

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
what do we do now?

Do you recall the conversation that we had during the remote connection? You don't have the password ***** your Gmail account so it is not working in Mac Mail. We went through the process to reset your password. Gmail will be contacting you within a few days at the other jal***@gmail.com account that you used.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. this happened before and we reset the password ***** the problem is that this Mac will not connect with the Gmail account properly. The password ***** we used just a few minutes ago was set up when we went through the gmail review seveal days ago. It seems that there is a problem with this mac and connecting the accounts on this machine

You were not able to log in with the correct password ***** Safari. When you are able to do so, we may continue.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. And you are saying that they will contact me through the [email protected] account?

Yes, that is correct.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Well how do I get back to you?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
does Caroline have that data?

You may do so by coming back to this page or by clicking the link sent to your email from Justanswer.com.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK Thanks for your effort and you have not seen the last of me!! ;)

You are most welcome. Thank you

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
my gmail account seems to be working, but here's my idea. Is it possible to simply tell me how to move a folder from Safari email to gmail? I realized when we were working the other day (yesterday) that I don't need to move them ALL over, just the ones that I work with mostly. Thanks. Caroline

Do you now have the folder in Safari? As I recall, you were using Mac Mail.

You can simply copy the folder and transfer it to the Google Gmail account. May I remotely connect again and do this for you?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
You are so patient. I don't want to frustrate either one of us. I know I paid the $39 but I don't need to move all the safari folders to gmail. If I copy a folder in Safari - that's easy enough - then where do I land it in gmail? I have been creating "labels" this afternoon, and am not quite sure where to drop the copied folder from Safari. Under "create a new label"?

You cannot copy folders "From Safari". Last time, we were working in Mac Mail, correct? You can transfer folders and files from within Mac Mail.

May I connect with you remotely to troubleshoot the issue directly? When the remote session begins, we will be able to communicate back and forth via a chat window that will appear on your computer screen.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I thought I could go into my email server - Safari, I assume - but the icon with the bird in flight, copy a folder and move it over to gmail. If that's not possible, then I wasted a lot of your time yesterday and I am very sorry. No new mail is coming into Safari, just gmail, which is fine. I can create the new labels I need, and simply switch back to safari when I need something from those folders. So if I can't move a folder from Safari to gmail, there is nothing to troubleshoot.

I am sorry, but I am not sure I understood your last message.

If you recall, you had the folders in the mail program and you said you wanted them moved to Gmail. Was that not correct?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am sorry to be so obtuse. Some time ago, and I don't know why, some glitch in my customary email server, which I have always accessed through the icon with the bird, stopped me from receiving new email. The email was coming into my gmail box but not the customary one. So, I figured I needed to learn to use gmail. Jim has been wanting me to do this for years. In order to organize the email that now arrives through gmail, I needed to learn to create new labels, which was simple, thanks to you. As I have habitually filed emails in various folders to keep myself organized, I now know how to create labels, which accomplishes the same thing. What I have wanted to do is to move the folders from my former email server(?) to gmail. I am sorry but I don't know how to explain it any better. I am satisfied with creating new labels in gmail instead of being able to transfer the former "folders" to gmail. I think the confusion yesterday was that I don't have a Mac Mail account and never have. Or at least not that I am aware of. I was thinking that MacMail was just a different name for gmail (google). So you relax about this. With my thanks

We used a mail client yesterday that was Not Safari. We spent a good amount of time trying to reset your Gmail password ***** that you could log into the mail client that was not Safari.

If the emails are only in Safari, then you cannot "Move" them to Gmail. However, you can add your email account to Gmail in Safari. May I remotely connect right now and help you with this?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
we can try it, but i don't want to get into the confusion of yesterday. I also have a glitch in gmail which I don't understand. Every so often, gmail asks me to sign in, using my***@******.*** address and password. When I plug in the password ***** doesn't work. So I click on "forget password", gmail sends me a 6 digit code to enter, I reset the password ***** what it's always been, and it works. This happens randomly.

The confusion yesterday is that we spent the majority of the time attempting to rest your Gmail password ***** you didn't have it.

After clicking the link above, enter the following two digit number: 68

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am satisfied just with the gmail account. I am working today (as I was yesterday) and don't want to take the chance that I will lose my gmail account. What do you think. It's likely that I will have the problem I described to you above, which is that gmail won't let me in with my password, then I would wait for a code, then reset to my old password.

As long as you don't click "Sign out" for the Gmail account, you will not have that problem.

If you do that and see the other account, click the other "Account" and choose the correct one.

Thank you for your time and patience today.

In the future, if you need any help with anything in the categories below, please let me know.

On this website, I am an expert in each of the following categories listed below:
- Computer
- Networking
- Mac
- Printer
- Cell Phones
- E-Readers
- Android Devices
- Laptop
- Computer Hardware
- Software
- Email
- Microsoft Office
- Smartphones
- Office Equipment
- Programming
- Consumer Electronics

In the future, if you wish to work with me, ***** *****, you may ask your question at the following page that you may bookmark/favorite, if you wish. To be sure that it is sent to me, preface the question with -For ***** ***** Only!-

My Profile Page:

http://JasonFixedit.com

Jason Jones, Computer Technician