Email

Need help with email? Ask your email questions online

I have a Gmail account: [email protected] When I try to…

I have a Gmail...

I have a Gmail account:***@******.***
When I try to access this account I get a message as follows https://accounts.google.com/b/0/AddMailService#inbox
asking me to “upgrade to Gmail” which will become my “primary email address”. “We’ll send account updates, invitations, and other notifications to your Gmail address.***@******.*** will become an alternate email address on this account”.I DO NOT WANT Gmail to become my primary account. I DO NOT WANT notifications etc to overload my Gmail. I want my Hotmail account to be my primary account and I want my original [email protected] to remain as it has been. Gmail is blackmailing me to make it the primary account by blocking access to my account.

Technician's Assistant: Are you logged into your Gmail account on any other devices?

No

Technician's Assistant: Do you have security questions or a phone number on file to help reset your password?

Yes

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Email Expert to know before I connect you?

I already tried resetting my password ***** it went through eh usual process of sending a code to the phone number. But this still does not allow access.

3/15/2018
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist

Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.
I am very sorry about your issues. Few things first:

1. Are you using a Windows computer or a Mac?
  2. Did you create a Google account using your Hotmail email address? The error or notification message that you just described indicates that you created a Google account using your Hotmail, that is why it is asking you to upgrade to gmail to be able to send emails. Your Hotmail and your Gmail are intact as they are, it is only this Google account that you created using your Hotmail. Please confirm.

Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further.
Best regards,
Jess

I'm using a MacBook Pro.
I created my original [email protected] account many years ago, and it has worked flawlessly. As far as I know I created it using a Google search for Gmail. I have no idea where this new request comes from and just want to bypass it. But it is insistent and will not allow me access to my original account.
Now it is asking me to pay $52.00 for your services. But I already paid $52.00 a few minutes ago which I thought was precisely for this service.
Actually it was $57.00

Thank you for writing back with that information. Please disregard the pop up regarding remote access if you do not want to avail of the remote session. It is optional though and the extra fee is on top of what you already paid to post the request/question.

Are you using Chrome and is where you are getting the problem?

OK. So if I accept paying another $57.00 I'll get a technician who goes through this same process and then come back to the same situation - if you want further help pay a 3rd $57.00 and it will never end.

I am very sorry about the confusion. From my end, I can see that your question was posted for $38 USD. And the prompt for Secure Remote Assistance is by default $39 USD. Those are the only charges unless you posted a duplicate question. I checked, there is no duplicate question.

Jess, what happens now? I am beginning to think I may need to completely delete my Gmail account and all related connections and start all over again.

No, no need to delete your Gmail. Please let us continue here, and tell me if you are using Chrome as your web browser.

I am using Safari.

Oh ok. Then the error about upgrading to Gmail is happening while you are on Safari, right?

Correct.

Do you have another web browser installed like Firefox or Chrome? I am asking so that you can test right away if your Gmail and Hotmail are intact on their own and that this trouble you are in now is just caused by the Google account.

I have Chrome. Stand by and I'll try.
Chrome gives the same result - not connecting to my existing account but asking me to make a new Gmail account.

Did you do the creation of Google account in Safari or Chrome?

Safari. I rarely use anything else.

Ok, on your Chrome, please go to this URL:

www.mail.google.com

I get the message: This site can’t be reached
www.mail.google.com’s server IP address could not be found.

Ok. Please go to https://gmail.com

Tell me what happens.

It brings me back to the original issue: Add Gmail to your Google AccountFirst
Last
***@******.***
By completing this form, you're upgrading to Gmail, email from Google. Gmail works on any device, blocks spam, and much more. etc

Ok. Please open Cognito tab on your Chrome, then go to www.gmail.com there. The problem should be gone and you shall be able to access your Gmail

Sorry Jess. I'm not sure about the Cognito tab. Under File I can open a "New incognito window". Is that what you are suggesting?

Yes, that is correct! That incognito window will allow you to BYPASS the cookies and cached content. If you are able to access your Gmail there, and even Hotmail, then the next move is to clear your browsers cache and cookies so that you can start accessing Gmail and Hotmail normally.

I am able to access my original Gmail account. I tried clearing the cache and cookies but when I go back into Chrome or Safari and try to access Gmail it still gives me that original message. Maybe I haven't cleared everything.

Yes. For Chrome, please do these steps:

1. Open Chrome with a new tab
  2. Look at the upper right hand corner of the page. Are you LOGGED IN there? Another way to test if you are logged in is to click on the Tools icon (3 vertical dots icon) then click Settings. Or go to this URL (copy and paste there)
    chrome://settings/
  3. Do you see you are signed in there using the Hotmail? If yes, please SIGN OUT
  4. If you are not logged in there with the Hotmail, please scroll down the Settings page, click on Advanced
  5. Under Privacy and Security, at the bottom part, click Clear Browsing Data
  6. For Time Range, select All Time
  7. Check all the options to be deleted.
  8. Click Clear Data
  9. It will take some time.
  10. When done, close Chrome, then open it again then try accessing your Gmail

For Safari, please click on the link below for the detailed procedures. You can either clear Safari cookies and cache or restore it to default settings (reset) to make Safari forget about your Google account creation and will stop prompting you about upgrading your Gmail.

https://www.lifewire.com/restoring-safari-default-settings-446560

I hope that helped.

Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) if this helped. Tips are always highly appreciated!

If you need further assistance, please do not rate me negatively with 1 or 2 faces. Instead, please reply to me so that I can help you further.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess

Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Thank you. I can now access both accounts with either Chrome or Safari. I am giving you 5 stars!!!!!

Hi Laurie,

Thank you for the excellent rating! I am glad I was able to help.

Thank you for using our service. If you need assistance in the future, you can request me any time by posting a new question starting with "For Jess M" so that I can assist you immediately.

Best regards,
Jess