Email

Need help with email? Ask your email questions online

I am actually having problems with my phone - can't send…

I am actually having...

I am actually having problems with my phone - can't send emails in my gmail account from my iPhone. Thanks

Technician's Assistant: Are emails stuck in your outbox or are you receiving an error message?

Yes - stuck in Outbox. I have an iPhone, and have two email accounts linked to it: aol.com and gmail.com. I can send aol emails but not gmail emails. Thanks.

Technician's Assistant: Are there any antivirus or firewall settings that could block you from sending mail?

Don't think so; it just worked this morning. I changed my password ***** my gmail account so that may have something to do with it? Not sure how google password ***** gmail password ***** linked

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Email Expert to know before I connect you?

No thank you

3/10/2018
Isaac Franklin
Isaac Franklin, Support Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** welcome to JustAnswer. I'll be the one to assist you with your question regarding your phone. I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question."

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok

What is the make/model of your phone?

How is your gmail added to the phone? The built in email client with the envelope with your aol?

Or is it the red/white gmail app downloaded for the phone?

What exact error are you getting when you try to send if any?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
iPhone 6s Plus
Not sure how email is added to my phone - probably through aol
Error message is - cannot get mail, mail server imap.gmail.com not responding
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
iPhone 6S plus
Error message is - "cannot get mail, mail server imap.gmail.com not responding"

Ok, then you are using the email client most likely.

Lets drop ONLY that email and readd it. Everything is still on the server so it will redownload your gmail

as long as you have the right email address and password.

Let me the the instructions for you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don’t understand “email client”??
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am seeing your responses on my phone and my laptop - will respond only via the laptop from here on out. I don't understand "email client"??

First, tap settings.

Then scroll and tap accounts & passwords.

Then tap the gmail account you want to delete and then tap delete from my iphone.

Your email account will be removed.

Then lets add back.

Do you want to tap the same email icon and add it there, or do you want to add it through the actual gmail app?

Please advise.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Should I do this on my iPhone?

Yes, do this on the device you are having issues with. Remove that email, then tell me how you want to add it back.

The choice is yours.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Having issues with iPhone. I don't understand "the choice is yours how I want to add it back"?

You can add it back the way your aol appears to be from the information you gave me like this.

1. Tap on Google.
  2. Enter your login information for your Google account and tap Next after each step.
  3. Tap the switch next to each Google service you'd like to sync. If you have existing local mail, calendars, contacts, or notes, you'll have to either tap Keep on My Phone or Delete each time you enable a service.
  4. Tap Save in the top right corner of your screen.

1. Launch the Settings app from your Home screen.
  2. Tap on Mail, Contacts, or Calendar.
  3. Tap Accounts.
  4. Tap on Add Account.

5. Tap on Google.
  6. Enter your login information for your Google account and tap Next after each step.
  7. Tap the switch next to each Google service you'd like to sync. If you have existing local mail, calendars, contacts, or notes, you'll have to either tap Keep on My Phone or Delete each time you enable a service.
  8. Tap Save in the top right corner of your screen.

My apologies, the first part didnt come through.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry am not exactly understanding -I can go to "Settings" on my iPhone, or else I have the Google app on my iPhone. Which one should I go into?

REMOVE GMAIL

First, tap settings.

Your email account will be removed.

Then lets add back.

2. Tap on Mail, Contacts, or Calendar.
  3. Tap Accounts.
  4. Tap on Add Account.

5. Tap on Google.

Or you can add it with the gmail app.

You go to your app store on your phone from your home screen, type in gmail and there will be a white and red envelope

that has gmail on it.

Then you tap that, download and install and when it launches, you put in your email and password.

There are 2 ways to add that email. You can use either i sent you.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know. Reply with any and all errors or concerns referring to your technical issue.

Thank you,

~Franklin

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Still getting same error message. I deleted gmail from my iPhone settings then added it back in - same error message. What else do I need to do? Get into my Google app from my phone? Do I need to do something in the Google app from my iPhone?

Can you use another device please.

Go to gmail.com.

Put in your gmail address and then your password.

Do NOT use autofill. Type the email and password ***** manually even if it tries to autofill and tell me if you can login.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok - I am logging into gmail from my laptop, it takes me right into my account,***@******.***, and I can view emails

No, i need you to sign in manually.

Do you have another browser you can use that you normally dont use and type in gmail.com

so you can add the email and password *****?

If you can log in successfully with the email and password, it will be one of two things.

It will be your port settings or your less secure apps.

If it is the imap issue/port you will add it like this with these settings after you make sure on your pc that the imap is enabled.

https://www.iphonefaq.org/archives/97300

If that isnt allowing it, allow your less secure apps from this page while your gmail is open in another tab on your computer.

Once you click 'less secure apps' on this page in another tab, it will take you to it if your gmail is open on the computer.

Make sure its on.

https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6010255?hl=en

Then try again to get mail.

Here is another guide to use those port settings on for your iphone for your gmail

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2016/03/25/cannot-get-mail-error-ios-fix/

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Wow this sounds really complicated - I have a Mac with safari and a surface pro - as well as my iPhone. Which should I work in?

If you are absolutely positive that email and password ***** correct, then use the two guides i sent you for add gmail back to your iphone and make sure that the other link i sent you is allowing less secure apps. This is usually the two issues that causes that problem/error message on gmail with iphone.

Use your iphone where you are having problems to fix gmail email and use your mac to make sure less secure apps is ON for your gmail.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I realized I needed to update my gmail password ***** my iPhone - can now send gmail emails from my iPhone. Am still getting message “3 unsent emails” - these are the original emails I was having problems with - how do I get these old ones sent?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No longer seeing the “cannot get mail, mail server imap.gmail.com”. Is there any way I can send the 3 unsent emails? Also how do I view them? I don’t see an “outbox” in my gmail account

Perfect! That error is usually due to password ***** or ports as we discussed.

You will send your mail like this:

1. Double-check that the iPhone / iPad / iPod has an active internet connection
  2. From the Mail app, tap on the “Mailboxes” text at the top of the Mail window
  3. At the Mailboxes panel, choose “Outbox” to see the unsent messages
  • To re-send the unsent message, use the pull-to-refresh option by pulling down at the Outbox screen until the spinning indicator shows up
  • To delete the unsent message, tap on “Edit”, tap the message, and choose the Trash icon

I will leave a visual for you to follow through.

http://osxdaily.com/2014/03/06/send-unsent-message-mail-ios/

If they are saved in drafts the directions are different.

Messages you compose in Gmail are saved as they're typed. Until sent, these "unsent" messages are drafts. Whenever a draft exists, the folder containing them will say drafts. It depends on your 'view' of your email.

If that is the case, you can go there where you see they are unsent, tap the email again and it will let you finish revising and then hit send on it to get them to go through.

Did you need anything further today for your issue? Were you able to get them sent out successfully?

Thank you,

~Franklin

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Was just able to do a “resend” so looks like problem solved - thank you!!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
good job!! I will be pleased to give you a good rating - thank you

Perfect!

Please ensure you rate with the fifth star to close out this issue for my records please.

If you need anything at all, let me know and we are open 24/7 if you need us again.

Isaac Franklin
Isaac Franklin, Support Technician
Isaac Franklin
Isaac Franklin
Isaac Franklin, Support Technician