Email

Need help with email? Ask your email questions online

Windows account has wrong e-mail adress. Gmail. Web browser.

Customer Question
Windows account has wrong...

Windows account has wrong e-mail adress

Technician's Assistant: Who is your email provider (Gmail, Yahoo, Outlook, etc.)?

Gmail

Technician's Assistant: How do you usually access Gmail? On a phone or tablet, or through a web browser?

Web browser

Technician's Assistant: What troubleshooting have you tried?

Tried to call microsoft

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Email
Answered in 1 day by:
3/11/2018
Email technician: Eric Ewing, IT Pro replied 5 months ago
Eric Ewing
Eric Ewing, IT Pro
Experience: I am a technology professional with 20 years experience, and hold 15 industry certifications (from hardware/software repair to mobility to IT Security, and everything in-between!).

Hello! I am working on an answer to your question now...please allow me just a few moments.

Hello! Assuming you can still sign into your Windows account (despite the incorrect email address), please try this:

1. Sign in to your Microsoft account.
  2. Select Your info at the top of the page.
  3. Select Manage how you sign in to Microsoft.
  4. You may be prompted to re-enter your password ***** enter a code we send to the email address or phone number listed in your account as security information. This lets us know the request is coming from you.
  5. Select Add email.

Note If you see the message “For security reasons, you need to verify your primary alias before you can add another alias” at the bottom of the page, you will need to either Verify your current primary alias or select Rename. If you select Rename, please go to the “How to rename an unverified primary alias” section

6. Since you selected Add email, follow these steps.
    1. If you want to create a new email address to use, select Create a new email address and add it as an alias, and then follow the instructions.
    2. If you have a non-Microsoft email address (such as an @gmail.com or @yahoo.com email address) that you want to use, select Add an existing email address as a Microsoft account alias, and then click Add alias.
      • When you add an existing email address, you'll be required to verify that you own that account. To the right of the alias you added, click Verify, and we'll send a message to that email address to get confirmation.
      • When you receive the verification email, click the link provided to verify that you own the account.
      • Note The email address that you enter can't already be in use as a Microsoft account alias.

Step 2: Set the new email address as your primary alias

After you add the new email address, you need to set it as your primary alias to have it displayed when you sign in to all devices and services. Here's how:

On the Manage your account aliases page, select Make primary under the email address you want as primary under Account alias.

Note Only email addresses can be used as primary aliases.

Step 3: Remove the email address you no longer want to use to sign in

Note If you choose to remove an alias that uses a Microsoft domain such as @hotmail.com, @outlook.com, or @live.com, that alias will be completely deleted and will not be available to sign in to any Microsoft services.

To remove the email address you no longer use to sign in to your account, select Remove next to that alias on the Manage your account aliases page, and then follow the instructions provided.

I hope that helps!

Hi again! I am just checking back in to make sure I fully answered your question? Please let me know...

Thank you!