Email

Need help with email? Ask your email questions online

I received a suspicious email not ago and in going to clean…

Customer Question
I received a suspicious...

I received a suspicious email not long ago and in going to clean out my mailbox I found it again. I researched information found in email and located WhatsApp. I contacted them after noticing I had an account with them from with an old email address. They tapped into my computer and told me my system has been corrupted. I wasn't comfortable with paying them $299 dollars to remove and clean up. So I am contacting you, feeling more secure with you.

Technician's Assistant: How's your internet connection? Are you checking your email from a browser or a mail client (e.g. Outlook)?

From my browser

Technician's Assistant: Are there any antivirus or firewall settings that could block you from receiving mail?

I am not all that computer savy. I did what I could to feel comfortable with what I could, but I really don't know.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Email Expert to know before I connect you?

I would like to know if my computer is corrupted. Can he tell me the email I am concerned with, can I get information about them. I searched sites from the email which lead me to WhatsApp, technician told me my system is corrupted. But also two other sites I searched came up with nothing or a site for I believe graphics. Email asked me to stop sending them messages via whatsapps; and asked why I sent photos of myself. I didn't do this. I don't send photos to people I don't know. whatsapps looks like I have an account with them, I never opened an account with whats apps. My concern is what photos were sent, if sent.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Email
3/8/2018
Email technician: syseng, Information Systems Professional replied 1 month ago
syseng
syseng, Information Systems Professional

My name is David.

The group that contacted you sounds like a scam. I would recommend not contacting them and do not let them remote access your computer again.

I also recommend that you immediately run a full anti-virus scan with two different anti-virus/anti-malware scanners to ensure that they did not leave any backdoor services on your computer that they could use to access your computer again.

If you have a Windows computer, you should reboot into Safe Mode to run the scans. As for the second anti-malware scanner I recommend Malwarebytes free edition which you can download and install at the link below:

click here

Before you do, check their reputation so that you feel comfortable with the installation.

Once you tell me the operating system version running on your computer, if it is Windows, I will give you instructions on how to reboot into Safe Mode to run the scan.

Also, if you receive offers/solicitations for remote access from the Just Answer site, they can be ignored as they are automated and not from me.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
how do I run scans in safe mode
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
per your email you stated you would tell me how to run in safe mode

My apologies for the delay.

Yes, so to reboot into Safe Mode click the Windows Start button then click the Search box and type

msconfig

in the Search box and press Enter.

In the window that appears select the Boot tab then select the Safe Mode option, select the Network check box and click Apply and OK. Reboot and the computer will boot into Safe Mode.

To boot into normal mode just start the msconfig utility again and clear the Safe Mode button and click Apply and OK.

Please let me know if you have questions with the procedure.

syseng
syseng