Email

Need help with email? Ask your email questions online

How do I know if I am using -for years now- POP3. AOL. So…

Please, how do I...

Please, how do I know if I am using -for years now- POP3

Technician's Assistant: Who is your email provider (Gmail, Yahoo, Outlook, etc.)?

AOL

Technician's Assistant: How do you usually access your email? On a phone or tablet, or through a web browser?

So far on my PC but I would like to use it on a Tablet also

Technician's Assistant: What's the model of your device? How old is it?

My PC is Gateway and has been updated to Windows 10

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Android device?

None yet however I have a cell phone Samsung 3 and now a Tablet iRola DX758 Pro

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Android Expert to know before I connect you?

No thank you

3/8/2018
Jamie Macko
Jamie Macko, Email Specialist

Thank you for your question today. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist.
AOL has the ability to use either POP3 or IMAP. It all depends on how you set it up.

By default it is usually using POP3.

If you access email by going to aol.com, then you are just going direct to their server, and do not need to worry about what protocol you use (POP or IMAP)

If you are trying to set this up on your smartphone or tablet, you will want to use POP3 as the email type. Here are the settings for your mobile devices:

AOL Incoming and outgoing mail server settings

POP3

Incoming server: pop.imap.com
Port: 995
Ensure that a secure connection (SSL) is used when accessing the AOL incoming mail server.

IMAP (If you prefer to use this, or if you cant get POP3 to work)

Incoming server: imap.aol.com
Port: 993
Put a check mark before the SSL (secure connection) option.

SMTP – Simple Mail Transfer Protocol for sending email

SMTP is required to send out emails and works with both POP3 and IMAP.
Outgoing server: smtp.aol.com
Port: 587
The outgoing SMTP server requires authentication so make sure you check that.

Please let me know if you need more clarity or are using a different piece of software on the PC.

If this helped, please rate me 5 stars!

Thanks,
Jamie

Jamie Macko
Jamie Macko, Email Specialist
Thank you Jamie...you went straight to point and solved it in no time at all. Blessings !!