Email

Need help with email? Ask your email questions online

I bought a new HP laptop in the spring of 2017 and at the…

I bought a new...

I bought a new HP laptop in the spring of 2017 and at the same time bought Microsoft Office 365, which includes Outlook, for the very first time for personal use. (Previously, I only had Microsoft office, including Outlook, on my company-owned work computer.) My question--When I set up my new Outlook installation--to be used with my main, ISP provider (Cox) e-mail, it did indeed import correctly all of my ISP e-mail settings and e-mails--but in addition to all that, my Apple "Me" e-mail account (previously used only on my iPhone and iPad) somehow seemed to be pulled automatically in to my Outlook 2016 installation without any efforts on my part--As far as I can recall, I did not, nor did I have any intention of doing so, make any efforts whatsoever to add my Apple "Me" e-mail account to my new Outlook 2016 installation. How did that happen--how can that happen? Is it possible for that Me e-mail account to get added to my new Outlook installation without any intervention from me?

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update your Outlook?

Just in the last day or so.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Software Expert to know before I connect you?

No, thanks.

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/7/2018
bbao
bbao, IT Consultant

Congratulations on having a new PC and new Office.

> How did that happen--how can that happen?

It is called Auto-Discovery for email, a DNS function use for simplifying email configuration. If you like, you can read some technical details below.

https://kb.intermedia.net/article/1306

> Is it possible for that Me e-mail account to get added to my new Outlook installation without any intervention from me?
Yes, most large email providers support this feature, including Gmail, Yahoo, Outlook and Apple.

bbao
bbao, IT Consultant

Thanks for accepting my answer and offering the bonus. You are very welcome.

I appreciate your thorough answer? Thanks!