Email

Need help with email? Ask your email questions online

My yahoo email has been hacked, and the only verification…

Customer Question
My yahoo email has...

My yahoo email has been hacked, and the only verification key they will send is to a gmail acct that is similar to one I own, but slightly different - verification was set up for my cell phone,, but htat is no longer an aption on their sign-in page

Technician's Assistant: Are you logged into your Gmail account on any other devices?

Yes, on my cell

Technician's Assistant: Do you have security questions or a phone number on file to help reset your password?

Did have phone on the yahoo acct, but it does not give me that option

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Email Expert to know before I connect you?

New acct is also not an option, since all my email contacts, taxes, etc are stored on yahoo

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Email
3/7/2018
Email technician: Kris Rodgers, IT Manager replied 1 month ago
Kris Rodgers
Kris Rodgers, IT Manager

Sorry for the delay, we are busy and I've just got to your question.
Can you let me know when you're ready to look at this and we will make a start.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ready
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
hello...is anyone going to work on this? request was initiated 12 hours ago!!!
Email technician: Domijones Manalo, System Administrator replied 1 month ago
Domijones Manalo
Domijones Manalo, System Administrator

Hi!

Thank you for your question. I am Domijones and I look forward to helping you with your issue today.

You can only recover your Yahoo! account by two ways. One is using your backup email and the other is using the phone number.

May I know if the option for backup email is still available?

Thank you.
Domijones

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
they are only recognizing an email backup, to an account that is 1 letter short of the other email I own - they do not show ANY phone for verification - this happened in 2/16...before that I had always gotten the code through my phone

Okay, then let's proceed to the process. Open your Yahoo! mail and try to sign in your email address.

Thank click Forgot Password. If the phone number option is no longer available and only shows your backup email address, then click Yes, send me an Account Key.

Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sends acct key to fake email address
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
checked real backup email - no acct key
the email they show as backup is 1 letter shorter than the actual secondary email

So it's no longer your real backup email address? Then I'm sorry that we can no longer retrieve your email address. Yahoo! doesn't have much security options if you lose your backup email address and phone number. Some email address provider will ask you for more personal information. But in Yahoo!'s case, it is not possible.

It's best to unlink your Gmail account with your Yahoo! account. Then I suggest that you enable two-way authentication with your Gmail account as well.

If you will create a new Yahoo! account, setup your backup email account and add your number. Then on the security settings, enable the two-way authentication. With these settings setup, it is unlikely that your account will be hacked again. The two-way authentication will always prompt if you login to new devices.

Again, sorry that I couldn't help you much.

Thank you.

Domijones

Is it possible if you can provide me your yahoo email address and I'll see what other options that can be done?

Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
this is an account I have had since 2000 without incident - if yahoo checks history of account, they will see the difference
***@******.***
real backup email is***@******.***
they are sending to r************@******.***, an account which does exist but is not mine
proper verification should be to my phone(###) ###-####
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
sorry, that real backup is***@******.***

Yes, I've seen that the backup email was changed already. I have used your number as a phone backup and it's asking me a code from +1(###) ###-####

Did you receive a code from this phone number?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
but it did not work - TRQBUFZZ

Thank you for letting me try to recover your Yahoo! account. But since Yahoo! security has a lot of limitations today, we can no longer retrieve your account.

They only have the backup email and phone number, but the security question was already removed. They don't even have customer support that could assist you and validate your identity.

I suggest that you update your contacts using your Gmail account and inform them that your Yahoo! email address is no longer working.

I would not stick with Yahoo! account for the meantime. There's a news that thousands of Yahoo! accounts were hacked 2 last years, if I'm not mistaken.

Again, sorry that I couldn't help you.

Thank you.

Domijones

Jess M., Computer Support Specialist