Email

Need help with email? Ask your email questions online

Since the end of February I've noticed that something odd…

Customer Question
Since the end of...

Since the end of February I've noticed that something odd has started happening with my Gmail account. Emails addressed direct to my account are arriving in my Inbox where a copy is being forwarded to my work address, as normal. But I also use other email domain names for any outside (non-personal) emails which, until the end of Feb, followed the same protocol i.e. they're forwarded to my Gmail Inbox, where a copy is forwarded again to my work email address. But now, while a copy is still forwarded to my work address, it does not keep a copy in my Gmail Inbox. I’ve not consciously altered any of the Settings recently.Last weekend, I thought I'd see what would happen if I disabled the forwarding option, to ascertain if it would then leave all emails in the Gmail Inbox. But it didn’t change the forwarding option and continued to forward all emails and only keeping a copy of the directly addressed emails in the Gmail Inbox!The only possibility I can think of is that, while I read all the emails in my work Inbox, I often then access my Gmail account with my mobile phone and then go through deleting non-important ones, without opening them. Is it possible it’s somehow “learnt” that I’m not reading certain emails and has therefore decided not to keep a copy…?Any help would be gratefully appreciated.
Regards, Sean

Technician's Assistant: Are you logged into your Gmail account on any other devices?

I'm currently logged in from this laptop, but my phone stays connected as well.

Technician's Assistant: Do you have security questions or a phone number on file to help reset your password?

I have a phone number...

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Email Expert to know before I connect you?

No, unless you need something else?

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Email
After inputting my payment details I was unable to type my mobile number in - it appears to be geared up for US mobile numbers only as there is insufficient space to enter a UK mobile number...
3/7/2018
Email technician: Kris Rodgers, IT Manager replied 6 months ago
Kris Rodgers
Kris Rodgers, IT Manager

Sorry for the delay, we are busy and I've just got to your question.
Can you let me know when you're ready to look at this and we will make a start.

Not until around 1800hrs GMT this evening.

OK give me a shout then

Hi Kris, are you able to give me some advice now?

Would it be OK to connect and have a look at the rules?

OK. Please disable imap (this will lock your phone out)

And tell me If it still happens

I disbled the IMAP and there was no change, I then disabled the forwarding option again and it still forwards and, of course, doesn't save a copy.

OK let me look into this

Just one more thing... Despite disabling the IMAP option, I am still able to access my Gmail account and send an email. It would seem something has gone wrong with my settings, in general.
I meant access my email account from my phone....!

You will need to re-enable the imap settings

Okay, I've done that. But I said I could still access my account, and send emails, even though the IMAP setting had been disabled.

OK thanks, ***** ***** have any other clients connected too it?

I just have a home desktop, work laptop and mobile phone that I use to access it. I'll be shutting down in a minute, but will be at work tomorrow (from 0800hrs GMT), where I can respond to any queries - I've been on a course for the last two days, so was unable to respond during the day. I have to respond to you via the work laptop, because of the problem with copies of the emails not being left in Gmail, so I can't see them with the desktop or phone.

Okay no problem.

I am going to opt out so another expert can have a go at helping as I am out of ideas.

Someone will pick this up and you will be emailed.

Thanks

Kris