Email

Need help with email? Ask your email questions online

I created folders in gmail and thought I had archived some…

Customer Question
I created folders in...

I created folders in gmail and thought I had archived some of my emails. I went into the folders and the messages are gone

Technician's Assistant: How do you usually access Gmail? On a phone or tablet, or through a web browser?

Chrome

Technician's Assistant: What troubleshooting have you tried?

I just sent a note to google support and they replied immedialtey that the messages are perm deleted

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Email
3/6/2018
Email technician: Kris Rodgers, IT Manager replied 6 months ago
Kris Rodgers
Kris Rodgers, IT Manager

Sorry for the delay, we are busy and I've just got to your question.
Can you let me know when you're ready to look at this and we will make a start.

I can look at it now

Hi

Are you doing this on a computer on gmail.com?

Thanks

Kris

from a chrome browser logged into my gmail account

OK - does the emails appear in "All Mail"?

They do not. They were in my inbox, I moved them to folders that I created and I went to look at one today, that was in a folder, and it is gone.

OK so the next step would be to do a search on the whole mailbox.

If they are not in the whole mailbox, this would mean they are deleted.

There are some in my sent mail...but none that was received...in my inbox. Only troubling because in an effort to save and file them, I created folders

Would it be ok to connect and try a few things?

The real question is why, if I moved emails that are in my inbox to folders that I created...why would they be gone? How do I prevent this from happening in the future?

This would of been user error, there is no routine for Gmail to reset or delete folders.

The folders exist. They are still there. The content in them is gone.

Did you move them to another folder by mistake?

Do you use Outlook or any other program that is linked to your gmail?

I moved several email to folders based on who they were from. I don't use any other programs and my account is secure.

Would it be OK for me to connect and troubleshoot?

Regards

Kris

I am just having a hard time understanding what you connecting for an additional $39 is going to accomplish. I have a good understanding of Google mail, I use folders all of the time. This is an advanced issue that I am looking for a solution to.

Okay no problem.

I am going to opt out so another expert can have a go at helping as I am out of ideas.

Someone will pick this up and you will be emailed.

Thanks

Kris

Email technician: Justin Johnson,
 replied 6 months ago
Justin Johnson

Hi! I am Justin. I see the previous expert has opened the question up to the rest of the experts. Are you still in need of assistance?