Email

Need help with email? Ask your email questions online

My IPad is disabled and I don't know what to do. What do you…

My IPad is disabled...

My IPad is disabled and I don't know what to do

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your iPad?

What do you mean

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your iPad? What have you tried so far?

I tried using my computer and the IPad cable

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

My email address is:

3/1/2018
John T. F., Apple Consultant

Hello! I will work to provide accurate advice and info. Give me a minute to read your submission.

If Phone/Remote Services are offered, ignore them

The following procedure is a special device firmware update mode. It will erase your Apple device, remove the passcode, and then re-sync user data once it is done (provided you have a backup of some kind).

1) Make sure you have downloaded and installed the latest version of iTunes on your computer before attempting this:

http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

(Mac users can run System Preferences > “App Store” ( or Software Update for older OS X releases) > "Check now" to get the latest version for their system in most cases.)

2) Open iTunes on your computer and connect the Apple device directly to it (using the charging cable that came with it from Apple)

3) Turn off the Apple device (press the sleep/wake button on the top until you see the red slider and slide the red slider across to the right OR until the device completely shuts off).

4) Hold down the sleep/wake button (on the top) AND the home button (on the front) for 10 seconds

5) Release the sleep/wake button but CONTINUE to hold the home button, until...

6) iTunes should alert you it’s detected a device in recovery mode, click OK and continue along for the restore.

Note: it may ask whether you wish to restore a backup from iTunes or from iCloud. You should use which ever has the latest backup of your personal data.

If it doesn’t work the 1st time, start from the beginning and try again. If iTunes *still* doesn't recognize the device, plug it into a DIFFERENT USB port and try once more.

If you receive misc errors when attempting to install/uninstall or sync after installation, try temporarily disabling any anti-virus or firewall software you may be running.

John T. F., Apple Consultant
Bhavik Joshi
Bhavik Joshi, Computer Software Engineer

I am Bhavik, I have accepted your request for remote scree sharing. I can connect to your computer and help you with this process. Also let me know your phone number as well so that I can call you.