Email

Need help with email? Ask your email questions online

For some reason I cannot find, I am no longer able to

For some reason I...

For some reason I cannot find, I am no longer able to connect to my gmail account,

Technician's Assistant: How do you usually access Gmail? On a phone or tablet, or through a web browser?

My wife uses Windows Live Mail on her laptop

Technician's Assistant: What troubleshooting have you tried?

Just about everything.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Email Expert to know before I connect you?

I don't think so. At the moment when I try and authenticate it keeps coming back to the username/password *****

2/11/2018
Kamil Anwar, Exchange & Email Consultant

Hello and Welcome to JustAnswer.

My name is ***** ***** i will be the one to assist you. Sorry to hear that you are having this trouble.

Are you using an email client?

We are using Windows Live Mail

What is your email address?

I'm not ready to spend $52!

You can request cancellation by calling 1(###) ###-####/p>

My email is***@******.***. The problem is with my wifes email which she accesses on her Windows laptop.

May i connect with you remotely to troubleshoot the issue directly?

As I said. I'm not read to spend $52 for remote assistance.
  1. Open Gmail On web
  2. Go to My Account
  3. Generate app specific password ***** try using that to sign in to Windows live mail
Are you still there Kamil?
What do you mean by app specific password? She already has a password ***** her gmail account.

She need to have an app specific password ***** use an email client like windows live mail.

Where do I change the app specific password ***** windows live mail?
Is this done in her gmail account or on her laptop?
  1. Go to http://www.gmail.com
  2. Sign in to her email
  3. Go to My Account
  4. Generate app specific password
She's been using Windows Live mail for ages. I'm looking at (in French) her Account Page (Mon compte). I'm looking at Connection and Security (Connexion et sécurité). I can't see anything saying App specific password. I have, on the other hand an entry which refers to password ***** the fact that it was last changed in 2010.
  1. Turn On two factor authentication
  2. You will see a menu to generate app specific password
Ah. I thought it was optional?!

It is optional to turn on two factor authentication but to generate an app specific password ***** needs to be turned on

OK I did that. I have entered the code that was sent to me by SMS. However, it is asking me whether I want to activate the two factor authentication but it is not giving me a choice of yes or no. There is simply a button to Activate. Does this mean that I will in future always have to put in a password ***** code?

What you are seeing on the screen?

1. Activate two factor authentication
  2. Go back to My account
  3. Now you will see an option to generate app specific password ***** sign in and security
  4. Generate the password
  5. Go to Windows live mail and enter the generated password
OK I proceeded. I selected Activate. Then I got to more settings. On the final one I declined using two factor authentication on the laptop. I'm still unable to send or receive mail.

You are not following the steps correctly, you need to activate it first to generate the app specific password ***** then use that password ***** windows live mail

OK. The page says that the two stage authentication is activated. ( I put in the code that has been sent toto me by SMS. There is a dialog asking whether I have had enough if putting in validation codes. It's asking me whether I want to add a google invite?!

Skip it and go to My account page

I'm getting confused. I'm going to start again and access the account on my iMac,...

Are you trying to configure your wife's email on windows live or are you having problem accessing your email?

I'm accessing my wifes gmail through mail.google.com. I note that an email that I have just sent to her has arrived so the problem relates, I assume, to Windows Live.
the next question would be what is the best route to fixing the Windows Live access problem.

Yes it will not work on windows live mail until you generate an app specific password ***** your gmail account and entering that password ***** to windows live mail

OK.Let's start again on generating the app specific password. I'm currently on my iMac in Safari. I suppose I go to Gmail.com

Yes and follow the steps i sent before

I now have a 16 letter long application code. I'm not sure into which tab I have to replace the password. Can you help me on this. Will I be replacing my regular google password?
  1. Open Windows live mail
  2. Enter this 16 digits password ***** the prompt asking for password
I have Accounts>Properties with 5 tabs: General, Servers, Security, Advanced and IMAP. Where do I go?
When I put in the new password ***** keeps going round in circles. i.e. it does not seem to be recognizing this password.
  1. Click Accounts and select Properties
  2. Click the Servers tab
  3. Under incoming mail server enter the password
How about outgoing server?
For the moment I have been able to get incoming mail without having the changed the incoming server password, How come?
However, I have not been able to 'send' mail. (not having changed passords).

Can we do a remote session without any extra charges to you?

Sure

Please click the link below and run/open the program

https://www.fastsupport.com/328151764

Everything is working now. I restarted the Mail Application. However, what do I have to do to avoid having to enter the 16 letter code again? When I restarted Mail, it asked me for the password

If you enter it once, and save it (it wont ask again).

That's right. All is working fine now. I never had to change the in Windows Mail Live, however. Many thanks for your help. We got there in the end.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.