Email

Need help with email? Ask your email questions online

I can't get my gmail account to open in "standard view",

I can't get my...

I can't get my gmail account to open in "standard view", just in HTML on my Mac.

Technician's Assistant: How's your internet connection? Are you checking Gmail from a browser or a mail client (e.g. Outlook)?

I can't my gmail account to open is "standard view", just is HTML on my Mac. I can't get my gmail account to open into "standard view", just in HTML. RICK

Technician's Assistant: Are there any antivirus or firewall settings that could block you from receiving mail?

NO

1/24/2018
IT Miro, Computer Scientist

Hello! My name is*****
I am a certified computer professional who will assist you.

I am sorry for the issue. Please tell me if you are using Safari or another web browser. Also, do you know when the problem first started to happen?

Let me know by typing a reply below. I will work with you on this problem until it has been resolved.

Thanks,

I am using SAFARI. Just started this morning when I turned my computer on.
I would rather try without connecting 1st.

Thanks for the information! Hold on to check if my Mac computer is affected as well.

All my other accounts are working except for "gmail" and only on my Mac. All good on my iPhone.

It opens just fine on my computer. It could be that you activated the basic HTML view by accident. To switch back to the standard view, open your GMail account and scroll down to the bottom of the page, and there click on standard where it says:

Gmail view: standard | basic HTML Learn more

Let me know if it worked.

I've tried that a couple of times and it does not switch to standard view. When loading GMAIL, it send a "blue line" all across the "top section" when loading, but on the screen where it shows a smaller "loading line" that says loading "*****@******.***" it only goes about 90% across and then stops.

OK. This problem should be solved by deleting all browser cookies related to Google. Here is how to do it:

1. Open Safari

2. Click on the Safari menu in the upper left corner, and then click on Preferences…

3. When a new window opens, click on the Privacy tab

4. There click on the Manage Website Data... button

5. All stored browser cookies will show. Scroll down and locate the ones that are named Google and GMail. Select the first item and click on the Remove button. Do the same for other items

6. After removing them, click Done

7. Exit Safari and re-start it. Go to the GMail page and sign in to your account

Let me know the results.

I got to the PRIVACY tab, but there was "no" MANAGE WEBSITE DATA button. What came up was:
Cookies and other Website data: (Remove all Website Data ....)
825 websites stored cookies or other details (Details) NOTE: I looked at a lot of the "cookies" and I don't recognize hardly any of them except for things my wife has been looking at. Should I delete them ALL?BLOCK cookies and other website data: x :From third parties and advertisers (marked)
- Always (unchecked)
- Never (unchecked)Limit website access to locations services: x Prompt for each website once each day (marked)
- Prompt for each website one time only (unmarked)
- Deny with out prompting (unmarked)Website Tracking: Ask Website not to track me (unmarked)Smart Search Field: Do not preload Top Hit in the background (unmarked)
- Prevent search engine from providing suggestions (has a ? in a circle after)

Sorry, some menus can have another name depending on the version of Mac OS or Safari. I suggest leaving the settings you mentioned as they are, but deleting all cookies (web site data).

After that, exit Safari and re-start it. Check the results.

Hello again!

Did deleting the cookies and web site date allow you to use the standard view for GMail?

Let me know,

No sir. Did not. The same thing with the smaller line saying “loading***@******.***” only going about 85% of the way to the end. Turned off and restarted and still the same. Do you think you can fix if you hook up direct to my computer. Don’t want to pay if you can’t fix it. Pretty much done all what you’ve asked.

OK, let me remotely connect so that I can check the issue. You don't need to pay extra.

In order for me to remotely connect your computer, you first need to download a remote assistance program. We can use TeamViewer. Here are the instructions on how to download it:

1. Click on this link below:

TEAMVIEWER - DOWNLOAD

2. It should automatically start downloading the TeamViewer file named TeamViewerQS
3. When done, run the downloaded file and let me know the ID and Password ***** see. I will then connect to your computer. Do not close the TeamViewer window

If you encounter a problem, let me know.

It's back to normal now. I don't need further assistance.
Thanks

That's great! In case the problem returns, you can follow this method that seems to have helped for other GMail users.

1. Sign in to your GMail account. If it is in the basic view, completely sign out of the account

2. Sign in to another GMail account. This other account should display the standard mode

3. Sign out of your other GMail account

4. Sign back in to your original GMail account and it should display the standard view

If there is anything else I can help you with, let me know.

Regards,

IT Miro, Computer Scientist