Email

Need help with email? Ask your email questions online

Accidentally archieved email

Customer Question
***@******.***...
accidentally archieved email ***@******.***
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Email
1/6/2018
Email technician: RussellA, Information Systems Manager replied 6 months ago
RussellA
RussellA, Information Systems Manager

There are 3 ways to restore the data from your archives. You can or you can move individual items from a .pst file into their original folder or a new one, copy the e-mail back to the original folder, or you can copy the e-mail to a new folder.

To open a .pst file:

1. On the File tab, click Open.
  2. Click Open Outlook Data File (.pst).
  3. Choose the PST file and click OK.
  4. The folders from the PST file will now appear in the folder sidebar.

To move individual items from a .pst file into their original folder or a new one

1. On the File tab, click Open.
  2. Click Open Outlook Data File (.pst).
  3. Choose the PST file and click OK.
  5. Click the folder containing the items you want to move.
  6. Select the items you want to move, and then drag them into their original folders in the Folder List.

To copy all archived items from a .pst file back into their original folder:

1. On the File tab, click Open.
  2. Click Import.
  3. Click Import from another program or file. Click Next.
  4. Click Outlook Data File (.pst). Click Next.
  5. Click Browse and choose the file you wish to import.
  6. There are three options for importing regarding duplicate files: Replace duplicates with items imported, Allow duplicates to be created, Do not import duplicates. This will decide what Outlook does with identical files in the destination folder.
  7. Select the folder to import from (if you want to import complete data don’t change any settings). Make sure Include subfolders is checked. Select Import items into the same folder in: and choose the Outlook folder the items were originally stored in. Click Finish.

To copy all archived items from a .pst file back into a new folder:

1. In Outlook, create a new folder to copy the archived items to.
  2. On the File tab, click Open.
  3. Click Import.
  4. Click Import from another program or file. Click Next.
  5. Click Outlook Data File (.pst). Click Next.
  6. Click Browse and choose the file you wish to import.
  7. There are three options for importing regarding duplicate files: Replace duplicates with items imported, Allow duplicates to be created, Do not import duplicates. This will decide what Outlook does with identical files in the destination folder.
  8. Select the folder to import from (if you want to import complete data don’t change any settings). Make sure Include subfolders is checked. Select Import items into the current folder. Click Finish.

I hope these steps help you in rectifying your issue. If you are satisfied please mark this as answered so I can get compensated for my time, or if you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to open another query directly with me.