Email

Need help with email? Ask your email questions online

I have an issue where people are getting spam texts from my…

Customer Question
I have an issue...

I have an issue where people are getting spam texts from my gmail accounts

Technician's Assistant: How do you usually access Gmail? On a phone or tablet, or through a web browser?

Normally don’t use it except to look for something

Technician's Assistant: What troubleshooting have you tried?

None

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Email Expert to know before I connect you?

It does to(###) ###-####Goes

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Email
1/4/2018
Email technician: RussellA, Information Systems Manager replied 6 months ago
RussellA
RussellA, Information Systems Manager

There are two possibilities for what is happening: 1) that the emails are not being sent from your account at all, and 2) that someone hacked your account.

Possibility 1
There's a technique that the bad guys use when writing malware called "Spoofing" in which they make it appear that the emails were sent by someone other than the person/ID that actually sent them. The most common scenario is that they search an infected system for email addresses, then send emails to all the addresses they find--but making it appear that the emails came from one of the addresses they found.

If this is the case, there is nothing you can do to stop the problem unless you can deduce from the emails you receive about it who owns the infected computer. This can happen with an account on any email system, and even canceling your account would not prevent spoofing using what would then be your old email address--so there is no real point in going through the nuisance of moving to a new account.

Possibility 2
Look at the very bottom of your Gmail screen in the "fine print" area, and you'll see a "Details" link on the right side of the screen. Clicking that will bring up a window that shows information about the last 10 times someone logged onto your account. If it says there is more than one address logged onto your account, push the button to force them off. If you see location that you cannot explain in the list of accesses, you will know for sure that your account has been compromised. Note that if you see a strange IP address, it could be something like your mobile service provider if you have a smartphone with a Gmail app on it. This document describes how to interpret the information in the pop-up window ==> http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?ctx=gmail&answer=45938 (FYI, there is no information available beyond the most recent 10 access to your account.)

Save a copy of the information if you find any suspicious information in the report so that you have a record of the date and time your account was accessed and the IP address it was accessed from. That might be needed if the hacker deleted any information.

Next, you should do is secure your account and computer by doing the following:

1) Take these immediate actions to secure your account (however the next step is also essential to make sure it is completely safe from future intrusions) ==> https://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=50270
2) Perform a thorough checkout of the security of account and your computer and fix all issues by following the instructions here ==> https://mail.google.com/support/bin/static.py?page=checklist.cs&tab=29488

If you discover that the hacker deleted messages, visit this page if you would like Google to investigate whether message recovery is possible. ==> https://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=1195979 (Note that the instructions for requesting that assistance are buried within the details on that page.)

Finally, if your account has been compromised, you have to consider is the fact that any private information in your Google Account might no longer be private. Many hackers simply want another email address they can send spam from, but there is always the possibility that whoever hacked your account might have accessed your personal or private information. You might have to take other actions outside of Gmail to deal with that possibility.

I hope these steps help you in rectifying your issue. If you are satisfied please mark this as answered so I can get compensated for my time, or if you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to open another query directly with me.