Email

Need Help With Email? Ask Your Email Questions Online

Email

Since Verizon switched to AOL I can't access my email with…

Customer Question
Since Verizon switched to...

Since Verizon switched to AOL I can't access my email with Thunderbird. There has to be something that needs to be changed, like the port # or "incoming" or SMTP" or something but I can't get any customer support from Verrizon and I really want to be able to use Thunderbird. Can you help me?

Technician's Assistant: Are you logged into your AOL account on any other devices?

No

Technician's Assistant: Do you have security questions or a phone number on file to help reset your password?

My password *****'t the problem, it's the same as it's always been and I can go to the verizon site and log in easily to check my email on their webmail but that is such a pain in the neck, Thunderbird is the easy way to manage email and I really want to continue using it.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Email Expert to know before I connect you?

I think that's all.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Email
12/26/2017
Email technician: Kamil Anwar, Exchange & Email Consultant replied 1 month ago
Kamil Anwar, Exchange & Email Consultant

Hello & Welcome to JustAnswer.

Thank you for your question. I will do my best to assist you.

There are two pop and imap.

Please tell me which ones is the thunderbird using for verizon currently so i can get you the relevant servers.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
POP
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No thank you, ***** *****'t have an extra $39.00 to get the email I'm already paying way too much for.

These are the settings but make sure you are able to login to mail.aol.com through the web. If the issue is not with the settings, then it is with the account. Confirm by logging in via web to mail.aol.com

POP3

Incoming server: pop.imap.com
Port: 995
Ensure that a secure connection (SSL) is used when accessing the AOL incoming mail server.

SMTP – Simple Mail Transfer Protocol for sending email

SMTP is required to send out emails and works with both POP3 and IMAP.
Outgoing server: smtp.aol.com
Port: 587
The outgoing SMTP server requires authentication so make sure you check that.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The connection timed out. Could not connect to POP.imap.com

Change it to pop.aol.com and then test.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don't have enough money to pay my water and sewer bill this month, my mortgage payment is late. I can't justify spending $39.00 I don't have. Verizon screwed me by switching and not telling me what is needed to continue using their service as I have been using it.

The remote service pop ups you see on this site are automated. So there is no need to get it if you dont want it. I am Happy to help you through the chat

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK, we'll continue.

Please change it to pop.aol.com and let me know if that works

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Now I'm getting a message that says "login failed username or password ***** *****".

That is what i guessed. See if you can login to mail.aol.com using your verizon username and password.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No problem.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
When I say no problem I mean I logged in with no problem.

So you can login to mail.aol.com fine, correct?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
that is correct, I can direct my browser to mail.aol.com with my username and password ***** Thunderbird, which is using the same username and password ***** not connect.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Maybe I should change my password ***** reset that field in Thunderbird and try again?

Can you try updating the username and password ***** Thunderbird as well? May be thunderbird is using an old password? There is no need to change.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I haven't changed my password ***** years, it's always been the same and Thunderbird has always connected to download my new messages every three minutes. When Verizon started using aol things got FUBAR.

Can you check if Thundebird is set to use SSL and Normal Password ***** the pop and smtp?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I know it's set to use SSL, I just checked that when we started this discussion. How do I check to see see if it is set to use Normal Password ***** the pop and smtp? (The terminology "Normal Password" is unfamiliar to me.

In the drop down for Authentication Method in Server Settings

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have a box to put a check to "Use secure authentication", is that what you mean. There is currently no check in that bod and I don't believe there ever was.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I reset with a check in that box and tried again, the failure message was this: "Mail server does not support secure authentication".

Where are you seeing this box? I can't see it on my Thunderbird.

Do you want to do a remote session for $5?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I see this box in the drop down that I get when I click on "Tools", then "Account" Settings", then "Server Settings".
Yes, I'll do a remote session for $5.00, I don't have much time, I have things that I need to get done today. I didn't think this would be so elusive.

I sent the request for remote.

The payment for remote service has failed.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I just checked the information and it is correct. I started over and entered my payment information again.

I think it is the bank blocking the payment from going through.

Can you call customer service on 1(###) ###-####to get this sorted.

I'll wait.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm on hold now waiting for the next available rep.

Okay.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm trying to contact my bank. Apparently the local branch closed early today so I'm on hold with the regional office. Hopefully it won't take very long.

No worries - I am waiting. Take your time.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don't have to take my time, they're taking it for me !!

Are you still on HOLD? You can try a different payment method.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'd email you a $5.00 bill if I could. My debit card is the only means I have to send payment online. (I don't think you can accept my Sunoco card).

I'll just assist you with out the remote charges.

Please click the link below and run/open the program

https://www.fastsupport.com/531555426

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the assholes tried to transfer the call and disconnected me.

Don't worry. Let's just fix this.

I sent you the link above to connect with me.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I saved the file and opened it, you should have access now. The Thunderbird application is open and visible in the task bar.

The issue has been resolved. And if you can take a second to rate my service that will be greatly appreciated. Thanks