Email

Need help with email? Ask your email questions online

I can't remember my gmail, account or password and I need it…

Customer Question
I can't remember my...

I can't remember my gmail, account or password ***** I need it to try to locate my lost phone, that is currently off, because the battery died.

Technician's Assistant: Are you logged into your Gmail account on any other devices?

No

Technician's Assistant: Do you have security questions or a phone number on file to help reset your password?

Yes, the phone number, but then it wants to ping my phone with a 6 digit passcode; that's useless because it's dead

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Email Expert to know before I connect you?

No,, not that I can think of

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Email
12/21/2017
Email technician: Chris L., Support Specialist replied 6 months ago
Chris L., Support Specialist

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you. This can be a very difficult situation because the online reset is really your only way back into the account. I can provide you with some tips though that can make resetting easier.

Please read through the following, not everything may apply in your scenario but I wanted you to have all of the information.

If you have already tried all of the steps at the password ***** page here then unfortunately you may not be able to recover this account unless you can remember the password ***** use the back up options that are showing to you.

Gmail being a free email service does not offer any support aside from what you have seen online. A few years back they did have more options for people in your situation but now they simply suggest you create a new account or continue to tell you that they cannot verify the account is yours.

Depending on the recovery options you set up on your account you will likely be shown some or all of the following in order to prove it is yours.

Last password ***** remember

Answer security questions

Enter the account creation date

Get a text via mobile phone with a code

Now let me give you some tips for a successful recovery.

The last password ***** remember question needs to be 100% correct or else you will fail recovery.

The security question would also need to be 100% correct.

The creation date question is very tricky since almost no one remembers. This one does not have to be 100% accurate however it needs to be close, I would guess it needs to be within a month or so but the year must be correct. Some things you can do to help you remember when you created the account are:

Finding the account creation verification e-mail which would have been sent to another account you owned at the time.

If it was created as part of a new mobile device setup, check the date on the sales receipt for the device.

If the account was created for starting mobile device service, check the start date of your mobile contract.

Asking contacts if they saved a change-of-email message sent from the new Gmail account or any other e-mail you sent when the account was new.

Checking the creation date of any other accounts opened at the same time, like: PayPal, eBay, Facebook, Amazon, etc.

If you still have access to the account (perhaps from a mobile device still signed in) check the All Mail label for the original account creation e-mail or the oldest messages you still have saved.

Now as far as the code being sent to your phone goes. If you are able to get this you should be able to recover the account. If you are still denied after getting the code you likely entered one of the other things incorrectly.

Here are some more tips of things google tracks which will help prove it is your account. When trying to reset the password ***** do some from a location that you have logged into the account from before and if possible from the same computer. If you try resetting the password ***** a computer or location that you never logged into the account from before your chances of getting back in will be reduced.

All of the above said you basically need to keep trying if you want to get back into the account and try and figure out which information you have gotten wrong.

Google leaves account security 100% up to you, the user. So if you never updated your recovery options or they are out of date for example you left a phone number on the account you no longer have access to then you are out of luck.

Hopefully this saves you some time in the long run and prevents anything like this from ever happening again. It would be greatly appreciated if you could rate my reply to you by clicking 3 stars are more. I of course understand this is not great news news but you are just rating me personally and not google, their policies, or the situation itself.

Thank you

ok, so what are the security questions, because it's apparent I don't remember the password, or I wouldn't need your help at all.
no, I don't want anymore money spent! is this google tech? I'm asking for help from google!!!

You may not have ever added security questions to the account so if they are not showing up that is why.

I just spent money to get you to tell me NOTHING useful. There has got to be a way to recover this gmail account!
I think we're done here. I mistakenly thought this was google tech...

You have just placed a refundable deposit. I have not been paid anything. Have a look http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-can-i-request-refund-0

That said I have told you everything about google account recovery. I am sorry to say there is not any way to just call google and explain the circumstances and have them let you back in. What I have provided is all of the information in this situation.

ok, well thank you anyway for the help.
Email technician: bbao, IT Consultant replied 6 months ago
bbao
bbao, IT Consultant

If your phone number is ***** with the Gmail account, it is the key for recovering the Gmail account.

> I need it to try to locate my lost phone, that is currently off, because the battery died.

You don't need the phone for resetting password, you do need the phone number. Go back to your mobile provider, provide your ID and other info to show you are the number's owner, then get a new SIM for the same number. Put the new SIM card into any workable phone, then you are ready to receive Google's verification code to reset the Gmail address!