Email

Need help with email? Ask your email questions online

I was contacted by a business contact who claims I sent her…

Customer Question
I was contacted by...

I was contacted by a business contact who claims I sent her a very derogatory email last night at 8:51pm. I saw the email she is referring to and I DID NOT SEND THIS MESSAGE to her. Has someone hacked into my email account???

Technician's Assistant: Are emails stuck in your outbox or are you receiving an error message?

No

Technician's Assistant: Are there any antivirus or firewall settings that could block you from sending mail?

I have absolutely no idea.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Email
12/20/2017
Email technician: Chris L., Support Specialist replied 8 months ago
Chris L., Support Specialist

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you. Sorry for the delay in response. What you need to do is check your sent email folder.

If the message is not there then it means that someone has spoofed your email address which means they are spamming people from another account and making it look like it is from your account. You can read more about spoofing here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Email_spoofing

If the email is in your accounts sent folder then yes your account was hacked and you need to change the password ***** away, if you don't know how please let me know your email address and I will provide instructions. My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating for providing you a quick answer! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.