Email

Need help with email? Ask your email questions online

I am not getting email on the computer, but I am getting…

Customer Question
I am not getting...

I am not getting email on the computer, but I am getting them on my iPhone.

Technician's Assistant: How's your internet connection? Are you checking your email from a browser or a mail client (e.g. Outlook)?

Outlook

Technician's Assistant: Are there any antivirus or firewall settings that could block you from receiving mail?

I was receiving email on Tuesday just fine. Not since then. I've not installed anything since then.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Email
12/14/2017
Email technician: Jess M., Computer Support Specialist replied 8 months ago
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist

Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.
I am very sorry about your issues. Few things first:

1. Are you using a Windows computer or a Mac?
  2. What email account are you having trouble?

Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further.
Best regards,
Jess

Windows
Outlook
Getting messages just fine on my iPhone

Thank you for writing back with that information. Are you saying that your email address is ending in @outlook.com?

No. You can't just tell me where to look. I don't want to spend any more money. If I did that, I might as well cancel this, get my money back and call a different company.

Please disregard the prompt regarding Secure Remote Assistance if you do not want that option. Please tell me your email address

Will it be public if I type it here?

Yes, but you can just type the part with the @ sign. NOT the full email, like @gmail.com

me.com

Ok. And you are using MS Outlook 2016 to send and receive emails. Is that correct?

That is correct.

In your Outlook program, please try to send a test email. Then tell me what error message you are getting.

No error message. E-mail is going out, but not coming in.

Do you have other email accounts in your MS Outlook aside from the @me account?

gmail.comIt is a secondary address. and it is receiving email.

Ok. Please check your @me account settings in your Outlook. Please tell me the Incoming server name and the Outgoing server name.

Incoming server: imap.mail.me.com
Outgoing server: smtp.mail.me.com

Ok. The next thing that you can do is to REMOVE the @me email from your Outlook and then add it again. But before that, please check your @me email on your phone to see if ALL of your emails are intact.

When all emails are intact there, please remove the @me account from Outlook. Then add it again. Then test receiving emails.

I did that and i'm getting emails now, but all saved emails in other folder I have created are missing as well as the folders.

That is the reason why I asked you to check if ALL emails are intact when you access your email using your phone or web browser on the computer. Since the account is an IMAP, all emails should have been in sync with the server.

Please check your phone and see if those emails are there.

I did check before I did the delete and reinstall. All emails are there. Now they aren't there and they aren't on the iPhone or ipad

Please check your @me email using a web browser. Check if all emails are intact there. IMAP accounts should sync contents to the server unless you saved them locally.

Folders and emails in those folders are not on the web browser

Please check your Outlook's local folders and see if they are there. If the emails were deleted, they are no longer recoverable since they did not sync to the server.

I don't understand what you are saying.

I am referring to the email folders you have there in your Outlook program. See if the missing folders and emails are there, outside of the email account folder hierarchy -- like Archive or other saved folders.

If the emails are missing on your devices and in the browser, unfortunately, they are no longer recoverable.

I am in shock. All those folders are gone. I had carefully stored thousands of emails in those folders for future reference. All gone!

I am sorry to hear that. I asked you to check the emails from other sources (NOT Outlook) to confirm that the emails are there. And you confirmed they were there. That was a precaution and for me to confirm that the emails are INTACT in ALL devices since it was setup on your Outlook as IMAP. In IMAP accounts, all emails are in SYNC across all devices so deleting it from Outlook and adding it back should have NOT resulted to missing your emails. Unless it was POP and not IMAP as you have told me. That is where Secure Remote Assistance is a big help since I can see and check the issues myself.

Please try to do a SEARCH for any email you know that is missing now. And see if it is just stored somewhere.

If the search did not give desirable results, you can try to install and run a recovery software and search for deleted emails. See if they can still be detected and restored.

Here is the link of a free recovery software:

http://www.piriform.com/recuva

Just get the free version.