Email

Need Help With Email? Ask Your Email Questions Online

Email

I get this message in a dialog each time TB tries to access…

Customer Question
I get this message...

I get this message in a dialog each time TB tries to access one of my accounts, "The current operation on 'Inbox' did not succeed. The mail server for account / responded: Unrecognized command: ID."

Technician's Assistant: Are you logged into your email account on any other devices?

No, I'm currently using the desktop that I run the DSL modem off of for the rest of the house, but not using anything like my reader with a mail client or such.

Technician's Assistant: Do you have security questions or a phone number on file to help reset your password?

Yes, but the dialog that pops up displays, and within about ten seconds I can then get msgs /status from the account (My DSL provider from my phone company at Windstream.net) It is just a bit odd that TB is popping up the dialog saying my phone company's server doesn't recognize the "ID" command all of a sudden. I've used TB for my client on this desktop for years now.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Email Expert to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of. I am more than happy to provide additional info as requested.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Email
12/13/2017
Email technician: arsufi2002, Other replied 2 months ago
arsufi2002
arsufi2002, Other

Hello and welcome to Justanswer.

My name is ***** ***** I am sorry to hear that you have this issue. I look forward to assist you today with your question and provide the best solution possible.

Please save this page to favorites( ctrl + d) so that you can reconnect in case you get disconnected.

What do you mean by TB? Is it Thunderbird?

TB = Mozilla Thunderbird V52.5.0 (32-bit) e-mail client program on a Windows 10 64 bit Lenovo desktop system.

Can you give me the email address which you are trying to access?

That e-mail address that is is getting the unknown command comment from is***@******.*** and is one of many I use with TB at the same time. It is only in the last several days that I have been getting the error message. I still am receiving account services from windstream.net several minutes after it makes the initial reply the TB is popping the dialog up over.
That e-mail address that it is getting the unknown command comment from is***@******.*** and is one of many I use with TB at the same time. It is only in the last several days that I have been getting the error message. I still am receiving account services from windstream.net several minutes after it makes the initial reply the TB is popping the dialog up over.

Is this the only windstream account you are using on Thunderbird?

That e-mail address that it is getting the unknown command comment from is***@******.*** and is one of many I use with TB at the same time. It is only in the last several days that I have been getting the error message. I still am receiving account services from windstream.net several minutes after it makes the initial reply the TB is popping the dialog up over.Yes. Any other members of the house that use email accounts here connect with an open network wifi connection to the DSL line to go to third-party services such as gmail for their web browser email accounts.

Can you check the settings for this mail account in TB and tell me what is the username and the server settings listed there?

That e-mail address that it is getting the unknown command comment from is***@******.*** and is one of many I use with TB at the same time. It is only in the last several days that I have been getting the error message. I still am receiving account services from windstream.net several minutes after it makes the initial reply the TB is popping the dialog up over.Yes. Any other members of the house that use email accounts here connect with an open network wifi connection to the DSL line to go to third-party services such as gmail for their web browser email accounts.Considering that my first system I ever programmed on in assembly had 3583 bytes, and that I wrote things such as the opening article in the FidoNet News back in 28 September 1992, I'm not exactly a brand new figure to networking & such. Do you want the account name? IMAP & POP settings and such? I'm running a little low on time as I still have about 180 pics to import into LightRoom & convert over to HDR format before I crash tonight. This is becoming a touch cumbersome.

Just check whether the username in the settings page is *****@******.*** or just davidrye?.

It would be helpful if you can send a screenshot of the settings page

That e-mail address that it is getting the unknown command comment from is***@******.*** and is one of many I use with TB at the same time. It is only in the last several days that I have been getting the error message. I still am receiving account services from windstream.net several minutes after it makes the initial reply the TB is popping the dialog up over.Yes. Any other members of the house that use email accounts here connect with an open network wifi connection to the DSL line to go to third-party services such as gmail for their web browser email accounts.Considering that my first system I ever programmed on in assembly had 3583 bytes, and that I wrote things such as the opening article in the FidoNet News back in 28 September 1992, I'm not exactly a brand new figure to networking & such. Do you want the account name? IMAP & POP settings and such? I'm running a little low on time as I still have about 180 pics to import into LightRoom & convert over to HDR format before I crash tonight. This is becoming a touch cumbersome.I am going to add that imap.windstream.net on port 993 is the same I have used for several years with my email account via the TB client & a few others in the past as well. I prefer not to restate my account name as I have no idea how public this information is becoming even as I provide it to you, & giving out my email account name in public is part of what could be consider nothing but begging for even more spam every day to pour in.
That e-mail address that it is getting the unknown command comment from is***@******.*** and is one of many I use with TB at the same time. It is only in the last several days that I have been getting the error message. I still am receiving account services from windstream.net several minutes after it makes the initial reply the TB is popping the dialog up over.Yes. Any other members of the house that use email accounts here connect with an open network wifi connection to the DSL line to go to third-party services such as gmail for their web browser email accounts.Considering that my first system I ever programmed on in assembly had 3583 bytes, and that I wrote things such as the opening article in the FidoNet News back in 28 September 1992, I'm not exactly a brand new figure to networking & such. Do you want the account name? IMAP & POP settings and such? I'm running a little low on time as I still have about 180 pics to import into LightRoom & convert over to HDR format before I crash tonight. This is becoming a touch cumbersome.I am going to add that imap.windstream.net on port 993 is the same I have used for several years with my email account via the TB client & a few others in the past as well. I prefer not to restate my account name as I have no idea how public this information is becoming even as I provide it to you, & giving out my email account name in public is part of what could be consider nothing but begging for even more spam every day to pour in.If I tag on a section from the screen shot, it will most likely not be absorbed by a text recognition email account generation setup, but I will advise you that one of the first filters run on this account is any name not in my allowed list of persons to send me stuff, or that doesn't have a specific random character sequence password ***** the subject line that I only provide to friends in it gets tagged as junk and tossed in the trash can so I don't have to bother with it. ** grin ** Here's the segment of the screenshot trimmed down to relevant info.

In the username box, instead of *****@******.*** , try davidrye

That e-mail address that it is getting the unknown command comment from is***@******.*** and is one of many I use with TB at the same time. It is only in the last several days that I have been getting the error message. I still am receiving account services from windstream.net several minutes after it makes the initial reply the TB is popping the dialog up over.Yes. Any other members of the house that use email accounts here connect with an open network wifi connection to the DSL line to go to third-party services such as gmail for their web browser email accounts.Considering that my first system I ever programmed on in assembly had 3583 bytes, and that I wrote things such as the opening article in the FidoNet News back in 28 September 1992, I'm not exactly a brand new figure to networking & such. Do you want the account name? IMAP & POP settings and such? I'm running a little low on time as I still have about 180 pics to import into LightRoom & convert over to HDR format before I crash tonight. This is becoming a touch cumbersome.I am going to add that imap.windstream.net on port 993 is the same I have used for several years with my email account via the TB client & a few others in the past as well. I prefer not to restate my account name as I have no idea how public this information is becoming even as I provide it to you, & giving out my email account name in public is part of what could be consider nothing but begging for even more spam every day to pour in.If I tag on a section from the screen shot, it will most likely not be absorbed by a text recognition email account generation setup, but I will advise you that one of the first filters run on this account is any name not in my allowed list of persons to send me stuff, or that doesn't have a specific random character sequence password ***** the subject line that I only provide to friends in it gets tagged as junk and tossed in the trash can so I don't have to bother with it. ** grin ** Here's the segment of the screenshot trimmed down to relevant info.They (my phone company) just offered via my voice line to disconnect my DSL line/modem if I don't log into my email account with the appropriate full account name (including @windstream.net) as well as the same password ***** before. This is a waste of my time. Bye.
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist